roller mainsail furling - boom vs mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

larry templeton

We are buying a used hunter 450 and want to install roller main furling. We're attracted by the features of in-boom furling. Would appreciate any and all comments on this vs. in-mast furling and on the 3 prominent in-boom products (leisure-furl, pro-furl and furlboom). Thanks, Larry Templeton

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Not an expert on the subject

Larry: I am certainly NOT an expert on this issue. I know that the folks that have in mast systems like them. My concern with them is the fact that (it seems to me), there is a lot more to go wrong with this system. The in boom systems look like something that you could deal with yourself in an emergency. I do not know, but may I assume that the in boom systems will allow battens in the main sail and that the main sail is not loose footed. Also the mast cross section is going to be smaller. Now the boom size is going to be much larger but your weight in these systems will be closer to the water rather than having the additional weight aloft. I would be interested in knowing the difference in the price of both systems on a retro-fit. Regardless of which system you chose I'm sure it wll be a welcome addition. PS: There was HC50 (Hans Christian) at Sail Expo using an in boom system. It was probably the BEST boat at the show. (starting price $500k)

B

Been there

In-mast furling destroys advantage of B&R rig

The primary advantage of the B&R rig is the ability to fly a deeply roached main. This is THE reason for putting up with spreaders swept back 30*, with complicated tuning, and with no way to adjust mast bend. If you then bend on a mainsail with hollow leech, as required by in-mast furling, you've bought the worst of both worlds.

G

Gary Jensen

mail furling

I presently have a Catalina 380 (1998) with in mast main furling system. Bottom line-----I like it! I have always had conventional sail configurations ( a hoisted main). When I first attempted to use the system, it was difficult. It is important to have your boom raised when furling it into the mast. The thickness at the bottom of the sail fills the mast up quickly. It is important that the sail telescopes when its furled in. I race on a 36 on S.F. Bay and it seems to me that a furled main would compromise the shape and you would not point as high. No problem here, as my boat is strictly for relaxing. I think the down side is that a furling problem would be a bummer.Access to the furler is tough.It seemed that the boom furler is easier to work on. The up side is that you furl it in and thats IT!---No sail cover. I sailed on a 47 Catalina one day and when it came time to put on the sailcover, it was a job! hope this helps..Gary

D

Don Evans

See Practical Sailor Review

Larry, about 1.5 years ago, PS reviewed a number of in-boom systems. You can obtain a copy of their review by ordering through their website. Try www.practical-sailor.com. Don

K

KEN

mast furler

LARRY I have a 410 with mast furler. It works great, make sure you get a furlex system in mast , its simple and easy KEN

J

JOE

HI-LOW IN-BOOM FURLING SYSTEM

E MAIL ME YOUR FAX # FOR INFO ON HI-LOW IN-BOOM FURLING SYSTEM SAILJMF@AOL.COM

A

Alex

In boom..

..I have seen additional in-boom furling of new style of some other international well known manufacturer ; check further. Especially on B&R rig , it's a big waste to chose in mast furling. On any boat , from sail efficiancy and stability point of view , in boom furling makes-in theory-more sense. Alternatelly ,I would suggest to consider a single - or dual- line reefing mainsail ,based on new mast track with modern car-sliders , backed by lazy jacks and stow-in mast cover. It might give you the eassy of operation needed , without radical changes (sail and spar) and the cost in the thousands involved..

L

larry templeton

we settled on the profurl

Although the Leisurefurl is probably the better rig, we went for the Profurl because it cost about $8,000 less including everything. We talked with many owners and had very positive comments on both brands. Will let you know how we like it when it's finished and we have some experience. Many thanks to all for the inputs. Larry Templeton

J

John Van Stone

FurlBoom

Hi: I bought a new 450 last October and had a furlboom put on it. I love it. The only problems I have had with it were stupid mistakes on my part. 1. I hoisted the sail with our putting it into the mast track. No damage and it was great entertainment for many boats in West Palm Beach. 2. I hoisted the sail without removing the sail cover (which is in the boom and can't be seen from below). After 2 days of attemping to repair it I bought a new cover. I originally had trouble getting it to furl straight, but found out I have changed the boom-mast angle by tightening the main sheet too much. This angle is critical. I beleive that the furlboom has many advantages over the other 2 in boom systems and in boom furling is far superior to in mast furling.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Furling Main Details

The yard was assembling a furling mast system and one thing that concerns me is the motor that is about half way up the mast. It has large conductors, #2?, which were not marine grade and not tinned. Don't know if the wire was yard or manufacturer supplied - understood it was from the manufacturer. In any event, one should use marine grade lugs with marine grade heat-shrink tubing although this might be a waste with wire that isn't marine grade. Secondly, even though the furling main rolls up into the mast there is still exposire to light and therefore UV damage will occur. The portion of the sail that sticks out (when furled) should have a protective cover. A 45 on the Bay will be a lot of fun. I used to crew on a Cal 40 in the late 60s and still remember how nice it was to beat to weather in a good breeze or comming in under the Gate in the afternoon with the knot meter pegged.

Status
Not open for further replies.