ROLLER FURLING SYSTEM FOR HEADSAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RICK APPLING

I'm in the market to purchase a roller furling system for the headsail of my 23' O'DAY. I am a trailer sailor, so ease of setting up the boat (pre-sail) and breaking down (post-sail) is paramount when considering a furling system. I have reviewed information on HARKEN and SCHAEFER furling/reefing systems. Both manufacters use a foil type system that goes over the existing forestay, the foil adds strength which permits reefing. Based on the information I've read both are good systems but it's my impression, properly handling the foil will add to the setup and breakdown time (not in favor of more time on the beach). So, I'm starting to lean toward a standard furling system, not a system with reefing capability. Not only is there a significant cost savings but, from past experience there is no additional time or steps required (beyond the time required to hoist a headsail). Does anyone have any experience with the furling/reefing systems and standard furling system that can provide some insight or a recommendation on the two different systems.

R

Ray Bowles

Rick, On my 95 H26 I have a CDI roller furling

unit with a standard 100% jib sail and the normal sun protection strip sown on. The CDI is as basic as you can get and works very nicely. There is very little in the way of upkeep. I have found that with my jib sail I can reef it down to about 65 to 70% of the sail flying by moving my jib sheet blocks forward. I don't know what size jib you plan to mount but with a little expermenting you will also find out how much you can reef it down and you might be surprized. Ray S/V Speedy

M

Mike

CDI FF4

I have the CDI FF4 on my Oday 23. It took far longer to set up the first time than I had hoped, but now that it is done, I think it will be easier to do each time. I could see how having a stiff foil on the headstay would make things more difficult to deal with for a trailer sailer: the forestay is all of a sudden now a stiff piece of plastic that is longer than the mast. However, the furling unit (once sized and initally adjusted) attaches to the boat in the exact same manner as the headstay. Keep in mind that you cannot generally roller reef sails that are not expressly made to do so: they will be subjected to stresses that they are not equipped to deal with and will likely fail. Roller reefing genoas are either heavily stitched in special patterns or actually constructed of multiple types and weights of materials to withstand the varying stresses. So unless you are planning on buying new roller reefing sails, the ability of your furling system to reef should not be an issue. Also, in order to reef the sails, you will need to install adjustable sheeting blocks. The standard fixed blocks on the Oday 23 are not suitable as they are positioned to properly lead the sheets from a 100% jib. They will be too far aft for a reefed down storm jib, and way too far forward for any sized genoa. For these reasons, I consider my roller furling installation to be a work in progress. This year, the furler was installed, and I had the luff tape sewn in my 100% jib only. I can still fly my 130% genoa by furling the jib and raising the genny with the unused jib halyard (the genny has a rope in the leading edge; not as good as being hanked on a headstay, but what the heck). Next year, I hope to buy a real roller reefing sail and install adjustable sheeting blocks.

B

Brad

CDI

You can spend more money.....and you can get some a little fancier. But for something that works and is relatively inexpensive, you won't do better than the CDI. And it's guarenteed for life...even against acts of "poor seamanship" or something like that. How do you beat that? Brad

R

RICK APPLING

Thanks!

Brad, Mike, Ray, Thanks for the recommendation on the CDI furling system. Of the three replies I received to my initial question, all recommend CDI. Could you give me some additional information about the manufacture. I looked for a webpage but came up with no hits. Thanks again, I hope to be furling soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.