Roller furling/reefing options

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis Knudson

I have a 79 Chrysler 26 and due to advancing age I am considering roller reefing/furling for the jib. I frequently single hand and prefer to safety of the cockpit to the foredeck. Any suggestions as to brand of furler, personal experiences, and features would be appreciated. There seems to be several vendors available all touting ease of installation and use of existing sails. I presently have 150, reefable 130 and a storm jib. Thanks in advance for advice.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I am also a senior sailor

who used and liked hank-on sails for years. I switched to roller furling headsails a few years ago and love it. I am also a mostly single handler and have found the ease and safety of roller furling to be far superior to hank-on sails. Crabbing out onto a pitching and wet foredeck to change or drop a flogging headsail isn't my idea of fun anymore. Being able to deploy, reef, and furl a big headsail from the cockpit is now a pleasure. Most of the major brand furlers are all about of equal quality these days, or so "Practical Sailor" stated in a review of them about a year ago. I think that price, installation, and system maintenance would be key factors in deciding which one to buy. I chose a Furlex 200 for my H28.5 and have been quite happy with it. It was not the least expensive system by far, but I've found it to be of very high quality. I think that if you like your current boat and plan to keep it for the indefinite future, you would do well in buying the best system you can afford. You may or may not be able to use your current sails with a furler. The luff of a sail on a furler will probably be somewhat shorter than your current genoas as the drum of a furler is going to be higher off the deck. Converting a hank on sail to a furler involves evaluating the condition of the current sail, perhaps recutting the luff, adding luff tape, and probably adding Dacron or Sunbrella UV protection to the foot and leech. Unless your current sails are in excellent condition, it may not be worth converting them. You should discuss this with a qualified sailmaker. A number of furler units can be purchased with a new sail, usually at a price somewhat lower than if your bought the two items separately. You'll love the convenience and safety of having a furling headsail, particularly when alone. I think it to be one of the best purchases one can make for his boat and sailing fun. I've also had great luck in buying a number of used furling sails. The key here is knowing exactly what you want, your dimensions, and being able to return a sail that you don't like. Most reputable brokers will let you do this. If not, find another broker. I've bought sails from Bacons in Annapolis and have found their sails to be better than their ratings indicate. Always best to be able to inspect a sail prior to purchase, if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.