Roller Furling on a Sandpiper 565

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Willybdriver

A friend and I recently acquired Sandpiper #907. There was a lot of extra gear supplied including the hardware for roller furling top and bottom fittings. The small manual mentions the gear but gives little information on its installation. My question is: do you use the cable in the fore sail to replace the forward stay or can the forward stay remain? The rigging is similar to my Hobie 14, which used the cable in the genoa as the fore stay. This leads to another question: do we need to remove the brass clips from the genoa if using it to replace the forestay?

Attachments

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Can you identify the furling manufacturer?

If you can, go to their website and read (or download) their installation manual. Just about every furling maker has their manual on line.

Sep 4, 2007
- - Lake Erie, Port Colbourne
Have You Talked To Guys On The CL Forum

Hey Willybdriver have you tried the CL Sailboats Forum Lots of helpful guys there. www.clsailboats.com go to info centre then forum

Sep 6, 2007
- - Gananoque
roller furling

Strongly suggest you do not remove the forstay. I have sailed a 565 for 20 years with the furling gear supplied by CL and have had little problem. Raise your sail with the top piece in place and hook the sail to the bottom with a hank so you can change sails when you want. If you use the sail as the forstay you would have to lower the mast in order to change a sail. Regarding the hanks --you may have to remove them if they get tangled,I have. Have fun

Jun 6, 2004
CL Sandpiper 565 Barrie ON
Great boat for Simcoe!

How it's installed has a lot to do with the hardware you have. If you have just an upper swivel and the lower drum unit, I would suspect that you would use the sails luff. HOWEVER this wire for the furling is usually heavier than the normal wire luff. At least it was for mine. Like John said you'd have to drop the mast to change the sail. This was never a problem for me when I kept the boat ina marina. I had no need to change the sail. One consideration though, is that when the sail is partly furled, the shape isn't the greatest. Usually this setup is more for storage, ie sail fully set when sailing, and fully furled when not. You would need to have the hanks removed from the luff. Personally, I would stick to hank on sails, and sell the furler. Rig up a good main jiffy reef to reduce sail when there's a blow. Where are you going to sail her? I launched at the public ramp at Hawkstone beach once. Very shallow, and there's a hydro line to watch out for. Fair winds Eric

W

Willybdriver

furling question for a Sandpiper

Thank you for all your great responses. I will keep all of it in mind. As per your suggestions, I will be keeping the front stay, and using the jib cable for furling. I found a paragraph in the manual dealing with this and by reading between the lines, it basically says to do it this way. The raising of the sail with the halyard to be very tight could be achieved with a single pully on the sail top fitting, not mentioned in the manual. This arrangement is for the young woman who is going to be using the boat most often. She is not comfortable walking around on the fore deck. I like simplicity but must consider her needs. I live at the Hawkestone Yacht Club on the bottom of Mill St. with the road allowance and lake beside my house. This is where she will be launching until she becomes a member of our club and eventually gets a slip. For the moment she can trailer it home, just up the road, then maybe as a daysailer member keep it, mast up, in the back parking lot.

Jun 6, 2004
CL Sandpiper 565 Barrie ON
I'd be willing to look it over;D

Will cost you a sail of course;D I rigged a simple jib downhaul, to quickly dowse the sail. Let me know if you need a hand. I'm just a short drive away! Cheers

W

Willybdriver

Come have a sail

Sandy and I have rigged the furling, lights and the hitch on her truck. The Honda 4 stroke has been a pain for it didn't come with a fuel tank or hose. The young lady found they leaked and thru it away. We have not been able to find a source for the Honda fitting for the new little tank she bought. Frustration has set in major but we are going to launch this boat tomorrow morning around 9:00am and have ourselves a sail. Then paddle to the club and tie up at their dock for a day or so until the motor issue gets resolved. You are most welcome to come over, it would be a privilege to have someone with knowledge about this sweet little boat. Sandy is the owner, she lives on Mill St. in Hawkestone, the boat is right in front in her driveway. Hope to see you tomorrow.

S

Steve

I own 909!

Hi I own Sanpiper Sail 909 just bought in July. Live in Regina, SK Curious, what year is your boat?

S

Steve

I own 909!

Hi I own Sanpiper Sail 909 just bought in July. Live in Regina, SK Curious, what year is your boat?

S

Steve

I own 909!

S

Steve

I own 909!

S

Steve

I own 909! e-mail

sorry my e-mail is morrisminiman1972@yahoo.ca e-mail me. Thanks, Steve

S

Steve

I own 909! e-mail

S

Steve

I own 909! e-mail