Roller furling halyard

Nov 13, 2022
lancer 25 ventura
I am a new owner. I have never used a roller furling. I (w help) raised the mast and was hoping for the best that all the rigging would sort itself out. I was confused pre raising the mast w this
image.jpg

It did sort itself out... whew. I gather this is the halyard turnbuckle(?) for the head of the roller furling. I guess my question is ....... this is to be able to drop the furling separate from the mast and vice versa ? Vs a hank system to raise the furling at the same time as you raise the mast ? I believe I also have an additional head sail that this would allow me to swap out w the roller furling sail ( not sure why you would want to though)

Nov 13, 2022
lancer 25 ventura
I did not think to look at the brand. I was thinking the mechanics are basically the same in that the roller furling wraps and unwraps itself regardless of brand. But the head turnbuckle/shackle thing was not what I was expecting

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is hard to tell from your picture but I best I can tell you are correct. That looks like a halyard to raise the furling system.

Not being picky but just to help you ask questions better... a turn buckle is used to adjust the tension on a line or stay. They look like this...

1669996878301.png

on a boat, a pully is called a block. I'm not sure what the correct terminology is for what you have in that picture but I would call it an up-haul block (since a down haul is a thing) and specifically, I'd call it the furling uphaul. The term halyard is specifically for lines that raise or lower sails. Since your line is not raising a sail but rather raising the furling system, I don't think it is right to call it a halyard .... but I'm probably splitting hairs now... ;)