Roller Furling Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

C. Posey

Need advice re: putting roller furling on my 1977 Catalina 27. I will also need a new sail. Is it okay to order the parts from The Sail Warehouse and have someone local install or better to have the local sailmaker handle it from scratch? Is CDI the best? I need to know everything about it. Thanks. ecposey@aol.com

J

Justin - o'day Owner's Web

I like my CDI

THere is no 'best' roller furler. It really depends on what you want it to do for you. Do you race or cruise? I have found the CDI ff4 to be excellent on my C25. It does not have some of the adjustability of some of the other units, but that is nothing I miss on a boat I use principly for cruising. If you are looking to do serious racing, a more sophisticated unit might be better for you. It will cost you considerably more, however. As far as the question about buying elsewhere and then asking a local shop to do installation, I would check with the loft you want to work with first. Some of our local shops would do what you want. Others would insist on providing the materials. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

N

Ned Young

CDI Furling System

I have a old CDI (83 Model) and after reviewing the cost of new systems I have deceided to overhaul it. This systems has metal foil and all the parts are available. This is certainly a plus for a 17 year old system. One thing you should do is not buy a system that is to small for your boat. My system is on the lower range for a 28 foot boat i.e., 23-28 vs 27- 30, always buy the larger size. In heavy winds I sometimes have problems furling the sail due to the size of the drum. Good Luck

H

Herb

Sail Modification

Be aware that you will need to install luff tape on your sail which then slides into the slot or track. Cost about $200 +/-. Herb

Status
Not open for further replies.