Rodeo anchoring

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
You think you had a tricky anchorage...

We've all been there: high winds, bad bottoms, cables, kelp, and the scourge of the seas... the idiot anchored next to you. Share your best, most death-defying anchoring feats.

fouled_anchor.jpg

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
It was a dark and gusty Christmas trade-wind night. We swung wildly on our anchor, slamming up and down with each ground swell. Unable to sleep I lay there listening to the VHF. Her plaintive calls for help still haunt me. We couldn't help her as the situation deteriorated. (to be continued).

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It was a place called Winter Cove in Brittish Colombia, Canada. Everyone was crowded in the small Southwest part of the cove near the park. I decided we would move to the Northwest side of the cove because we could be by ourselves. The chart indicated adequate water. The hook grabbed and held well. We climbed into the dinghy and headed across to the park. When we returned, the current made it difficult to grab onto our boat from the dink. after failed tries, we made it, motored upstream, pulled up anchor, and joined the crowds in the calm anchorage for a comfortable night in a beautiful place.

Ken

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Well, there have been a few but the most memorable is this one. We were on a Moorings 38' cat on a charter in Belize. This was the last night of our charter. We had anchored in a quiet little hole within a small mangrove cay just to the east of Placencia making for an easy final day. When we anchored the wind was blowing lightly out of the N, we had anchored off the south side of the cay in about 30', these coves have a quick transition from 30' deep to a shelf with about 5' of water and quickly shoaling to the shore.
I had set the anchor alarm as I had seen some overnight wind shifts during the week, the thing I hadn't planned on was our inexperienced crew, who even after a week of being on the hook and numerous times explaining to not touch the electrical panel had shut off the navigation breaker shutting down the plotter and the anchor alarm.....:yikes:. Well I awoke to a strange feeling as the aft end of the keel was bouncing on the bottom. It was dark, REALLY dark, not unusual for 12:30 at night, and since there were no other boats in the anchorage no points of reference.
My fearless crew leapt into action, unfortunately one of them grabbed a handheld spotlight that was aboard and totally destroyed my night vision. After sorting out where we were and that the wind had shifted 180 degrees, I realized we needed to MOVE! The risk of course was that without any visibility I didn't want to foul the prop with the anchor rode. I don't recall exactly how much chain we had out but I do remember that there was 3 strand nylon as part of the ground tackle. It was time to move and my solution was to tie off a fender to the anchor rode and come back for it when there was a bit more light.
Fortunately there was a second anchor aboard with plenty of rode so were able anchor out farther in the cove, it wasn't ideal but I wasn't going back to sleep anytime soon. All ended well with no apparent damage to the keel.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While the Pogo 12.5 is a BLAST to double-hand, mooring, in particular med-mooring can be a real handful. There are at least 4 full-time jobs, and at least one of then is on shore. So backing up with 20 knots of cross wind and no-one to catch and throw back the return lines, I had to back up, stop the boat 2 feet from the concrete wall, then jump up onto the quay, loop the line, and jump back to the boat with the line and cleat it. Good times!

medmoor.jpg

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Anchored in the sand in 60' of water outside a local reef to do some diving. Finished our dive day and went to pull anchor and leave. Spent an hour breaking my back trying to haul it up with no luck (I really want a windlass). luckily I still had some air in one of the tanks. Put my gear back on and dove the anchor. Somehow we had managed to hook under the only coral boulder in the entire sand patch. It was wedged in good, and took my about 10 minutes to break it free with the boat idling above me. If I hadn't had dive gear aboard, I would have had to cut it free.
2015-04-12 12.14.16.jpg

It's also good my son is capable of driving the boat.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Consider the scene.......Three sailboats leave the Bohemia River to travel to the Aberdeen side of the Susquehanna Flats to anchor for the night near Havre De Grace, MD to watch the Fourth of July fireworks. The flow of the "Suski" is quite fast there, but that allowed us all to drop anchor and drift back with the current and set our hooks well in the bottom's thick mud.
After all were "hooked" we prepared to enjoy what we believed was a perfect vantage point. In short order we, aboard our Irwin 31, realized we were no longer hanging downstream of our anchor, but were actually "sailing" up river toward our anchor! All seemed well as the boat slowed, fell off in the current and the anchor rode again showed strain. "It's all good", we assured ourselves.
Upstream again we scooted. What a hydrodynamic hull we must have! This time we actually passed the spot where we dropped the anchor! When the boat turned with the current you know what happened to the anchor rode......it looped around the keel and in front of the rudder! We were hog-tied facing down stream and toward one of the boats that had arrived with us.
After much pulling on the tight anchor line and much pushing on the loosened line we were able to move the boat upstream past the anchor and maneuver the boat out of its trap. The end of the story involved anchoring out of the water's strong flow and farther away from the fireworks. As luck would have it many of the fireworks fell toward the water in the spot near where we had originally anchored! Happy ending.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
A friend of mine saw our Monday Mail Newsletter and sent this story to me in email, thought you'd enjoy it!
-----------------------------------------------

I lost an anchor once while in the USCG. The guy on the windlass break turned it the wrong way and locked the brake open. A 15k lb anchor plus 9 shots ( 810 ft) of 1 5/8 di-link chain came out of the chain locker with such speed that it lifted off the pawls throwing sparks everywhere and setting fire to the canvas covers an all the equipment on the forecastle. The noise was incredible.

The final 3 shots are painted, the first one white, the second one yellow and the third and last shot red. When the yellow shot came out, I gave the command to cease trying to stop it and evacuate the area. I was too late with that command and the red shot came flying out. I yelled, "Hit the deck..!!" and the 7 or 8 people that were still up there dropped flat. As the last shot ran out, there was a very loud bang as the Class 1 shackle (they weigh about 20 lbs) that is sawn 2/3 of the way through (weak link) did not fail as designed and tore the welded padeye out of the deck in an attempt to turn the chain locker inside out. The last link, plus the shackle, plus the padeye came flying out of the pipe, whipped around 360 degrees and swept the rails (1.5 inch welded pipe) completely off the forecastle.

When it was gone, the silence was deafening. Slowly, everybody up there got up off the deck and went below to change their pants. Nobody was injured or killed...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
A wonderful story...which reminded me of one I hadn't thought about in years!. The date stamp on it says I saved it in 2001, but that may only be when I moved the files from one computer to another...I seem to recall it from late '90s...allegedly a report from a British ship's captain that made the rounds under the title "Harbour Disaster:"

It is with regret and haste that I write this letter to you; regret that such a small misunderstanding could lead to the following circumstances, and haste in order that you get this report before you form your own pre-conceived opinions from reports in the world press, for I am sure that they will tend to overdramatise the affair.
We had just picked up the pilot and the apprentice had returned from changing the "G" flag for the "H" and, it being his first trip, he was having difficulty in rolling the "G" flag up. I therefore proceeded to show him how. Coming to the last part I told him to "let go!" The lad, although willing, is not too bright, necessitating my having to repeat the order in a sharper tone. At this moment the Chief Officer appeared from the chart room, having been plotting the vessel's progress, and, thinking that it was the anchors that were being referred to, repeated the "let go" order to the Third Officer on the forecastle. The port anchor, having been cleared away but not walked out, was promptly let go! The effect of letting the anchor drop from the "pipe" while the vessel was proceeding at full harbour speed, proved too much for the windlass brake and the entire length of the port cable was pulled out "by the roots." I fear that the damage to the chain locker may be extensive.
The braking effect of the port anchor naturally caused the vessel to sheer in that direction, right towards the swing bridge that spans a tributary to the river, up which we were proceeding. The operator of the swing bridge, showed great presence of mind by opening the bridge for my ship. Unfortunately he did not stop the vehicular traffic first, the result being that the bridge partly opened and deposited a Volkswagon, two cyclists and a livestock truck on the foredeck. My ship's company are at present rounding up the contents of the latter, which from the noise I would say are pigs. In his efforts to stop the progress of the vessel, the Third Officer dropped the starboard anchor, too late to be of practical use, for it fell on the swing bridge operator's control cabin.
After the port anchor was let go and the vessel started to sheer, I gave a double ring "Full Astern" on the engine room telegraph and personally rang the Engine Room to order maximum astern revolutions. I was informed that the sea temperature was 53 degrees and asked if there was a film tonight. My reply would not add constructively to this report.
Up to now I have confined my report to the activities at the forward end of the vessel. Down aft they were having their own problems. At the moment the port anchor was let go, the second officer was supervising the making fast of the after tug and was lowering the ship's towing spring down on to the tug. The sudden braking effect on the port anchor caused the tug to "run in under" the stern of my vessel, just at the moment when the propeller was answering my double ring to "Full astern." The prompt action of the second officer in securing the inboard end of the towing spring delayed the sinking of the tug by some minutes, thereby allowing the safe abandoning of that vessel.
It is strange, but at that very same moment of letting go the port anchor, there was a power cut ashore. The fact that we were passing over a "cable area " at the time might suggest that we touched something on the bottom of the river bed. It is perhaps lucky that the high tension cables brought down by the foremast were not live, possibly being replaced by the underwater cable, but owing to the shore blackout, it is impossible to say where the pylon fell.
It never fails to amaze me, the actions of foreigners during moments of minor crisis. The pilot, for instance, is at the moment huddled in the corner, having consumed a bottle of gin in a time worthy of inclusion in The Guiness Book of Records. The tug captain on the other hand reacted violently, and had to be forcibly restrained by the steward, who has him handcuffed in the ship's hospital, where he is now, telling me to do impossible things with my ship and crew.
I enclose the names and addresses of the drivers and insurance companies of the vehicles on my foredeck, which the third officer collected after his somewhat hurried evacuation of the forecastle. These particulars will enable you to claim for the damage that they did to the railings of the No 1 hold.
I am closing this preliminary report, as I am finding it difficult to concentrate with the sound of police sirens and flashing lights. It is sad to think, that had the apprentice realised that there is no need to fly pilot flags after dark, none of this would have happened.
For weekly Accountability Report I will assign the following Casualty Numbers.... T17501010 to T 1750199 inclusive.
Yours truly, (name withheld)
MASTER.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Many years ago, in the Bahamas, we had settled into an anchorage with a bit of current so had set bow and stern anchors, similar to the other few boats near by. A trawler came in near dusk and dropped his anchor near our bow anchor float. We called out that was right where we had dropped our anchor so he waved an acknowledgement and hauled his anchor back up. He managed to drop his anchor directly onto ours and hooked it, hauling our anchor up with his. He dropped our anchor, waved and said "It's OK, I put it back". We managed to get both anchors re-set before it got too dark.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
While I seriously question whether my "harbour disaster" story is true, I do have one that I know is true because I was there:

I'd been invited to spend a long weekend aboard a friend's "pocket trawler" (Nimble Nomad..a suprisingly comfortable 25' boat) on the Chesapeake Bay. Late in the afternoon we'd anchored for the night in a cove off the mouth of the South River...it was fairly shallow, only about 10-12'. Just before dark a sailboat came in and "anchored" about 50 yards ahead of us. I put "anchored" in quotes because it consisted of dropping the anchor off the bow and tying it off when it hit bottom.

There was a light breeze from their direction that evening, so we decided it would be a good idea to take turns getting up every 2 hours to monitor their progress toward us. About 5am, my friend woke me to tell me we had a little work to do. It seemed that the sailboat had drifted enough to come close alongside us on our port side. So we broke out 3 fenders and hung them from the rails on the port side of our boat. Then, using a boat hook, we reeled in the sailboat and rafted it to us, then crawled back into our berths for a couple more hours sleep.

About 9am we'd finished breakfast and were sitting in the cockpit enjoying a second cup of coffee when the companionway hatch next door opened and a young man stepped out into their cockpit. "Good morning," said my friend..."would you like some coffee?" He looked in our direction for the first time...his eyes widened to dinner plate size...and like Punxatawny Phil on a sunny Groundhog Day, dove back into the cabin and closed the hatch. We finished our coffee and washed our breakfast dishes, then retrieved our lines and fenders and left without ever seeing another sign of life from their boat.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
It was a place called Winter Cove in British Colombia
We are just around the corner in Lyall Harbour. I know the Samuel Island side of Winter Cove has quite a current. Boat Passage can run to 8kts. We only use it at slack water.

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
There are a few videos showing the catastrophic loss of chain and anchor on large vessels...pretty scary stuff...
This one purports to be on an US Navy carrier-
This one appears to be some sort of commercial vessel-

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
These are great and educational stories. The ship stories are really scary.
My anchoring story seems kind of boring in comparison. I'll try to make it interesting for you all.

My father was friends with a couple, Fred and Dotty. As kids, we called him 'Hippy Fred'. Apparently, he took frequent trips to South America aboard his S&S cutter named Blitzen. His boat was discovered adrift off the Texas coast with Hippy Fred missing at sea. Dotty asked my father to help her sail the boat back to Florida for her.

They had one thing after another go wrong and finally had to call the CG to tow them in to Louisiana where they were met by the DEA. I guess Hippy Fred's trips to South America had drawn some attention in the past.

Having passed, or failed depending on who's point of view, the inspection by the DEA, Blitzen was repaired and our whole family flew to New Orleans to finish the trip. I was 14, I think, my first time in New Orleans. WOW! (You know they use to keep the doors open in Bourbon Street!?).

We set sail and Blitzen is an incredibly beautiful boat.

http://www.southamptonmarineservices.com/portfolio_page/blitzen/

Back to the story.
It was a dark and stormy night and we took refuge in Mobile Bay, Alabama. My father set the hook and it held in good sand bottom. I wish I could tell you more about anchor and tackle and the rest, but I was 14 and mostly just a gopher onboard. The radar reflector was hoisted and we went to sleep for the night. I was awakened by my father's command to help him get the second anchor out. It was about 2 am. We had chaffed the anchor rode and the change from pitch to roll had woken my father up. I race up in deck with him and he ran forward to double check the rode. It was cut like a knife had parted it. The second anchor was lashed to the deck under the dinghy. We had to untie the dinghy to get to the anchor. It really was a dark and stormy night and I would estimate the waves at 6 - 7 feet with hard rain and 20 - 25 knot winds. Just the two of us up there while my older brother was in the cockpit trying to figure out how to start the engine.

We didn't make it. Blitzen started bouncing off the bottom of a sand shoal, the engine wouldn't start and we called the CG again. They sent a 40 footer out. Blitzen worked her keel into the sand and water started coming in between the garboard planking. In the harsh weather, the 40 footer didn't want to get too close so we all bundled up into an inflatable with my father and the owner left on board. The Old Man paid out the line so we could drift away from blitzen and let the CG cutter pick us up. They nearly ran us down. We looked up at the bow coming out of the storm to the bowman frantically signalling the helmsman to reverse.
When we got along side the cutter I stood up and hooked my toes under the pontoon and grabbed the handrail of the 40 footer so my mother and two brothers could then climb aboard. Only, a CG crewman grabbed my wrists and yanked me aboard. The raft drifted away and after a couple more attempts, they abandoned the effort. Blitzen was well and fast in the mud and going nowhere so they all went back to her where they spent the rest of the night. I spent it in the CG station.
The next day a tow boat was called and we spent several days on Dauphin Island. The first Rocky movie came out and Blitzen never left Alabama while Dotty owned her.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Though not as exciting as some of the other stories our most harrowing experience was much different. We were anchored in a very small bay (Little House Bay) on Lake Sakakawea in ND. We had spent a very pleasant evening with our companion boat in their cockpit having wine and cheese and pleasant conversation. A calm and beautiful evening. We took our dinghy back to Wild Oats and our expectation was we would have a very quiet and peaceful night at anchor. Of course once the sun goes down there are no lights and the shore is totally black so any reference to shore is lost when the sun goes down. Sometime past midnight or so I felt the boat "jerk" and heard the wind pick up significantly. I jumped up and headed on deck to see what was going on. At this point the wind continued to build and build and build and the boat began its circular motion around the anchor. I looked back and our dinghy that was tied to the stern was "flying" like a kite and flipping upside down. (In afterthought I believe this saved us because it acted as a sea anchor keeping us off the shore.) Of course I decided to get the heck out of there so I started the engine and turned on the Instruments. Unfortunately they were still set on daylight mode (bright) and I lost what little night vision I had. I was pretty new to the Raymarine Instruments and I could not remember how to dim the instruments. I finally had to turn them off so I could see. By this time the boat had made a number of rotations around the anchor and I had no idea where we were in reference to the shore. Again I turned on the instruments and again I was blinded. Meanwhile the Admiral had brought up a spotlight and we at least to could see the shore as we made rotations. It all ended as quickly as it began and returned to a calm night. Anyway to make a long story short we were finally able to get our anchor up and we made it out of the bay by following the shoreline with the spotlight. We ended up going back in later and "shoring up" with our companion boat. The rest of the night was very quiet but needless to say none of us could sleep. I believe that we had fortunately survived a small tornado. A very memorable night to say the least!