Roachy mains and backstays

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug B.

We have just recieved our new sail inventory. Includes is a brand new UK mylar laminate/kevlar tape TapeDrive called the Powerhead Main (by UK). It has the top two battens full and the lowers half. When we got it and bent it on, we found that the aft 12" of roach (around the 2nd batten down) overlapped our backstay. Not wanting to hurt our new baby we sailed around all day in 10kt winds with a reef in it (feeling like fools as you can imagine). I figured we would send it back and have it altered. Well, UK tells me that that is very common with large, roachy mains and not to worry about it smacking and going over our backstay on tacks. My question (finally): Do any of you have roaches that go past your backstay? Have you experienced any serious wear on the sail because of it? How long did it take to hurt it if so? Thanks for your time. Doug

R

Rod Leonard

Rouch

Doug, I had my new main done up with a large roach for racing. The sail has been sailed for 3 years and still looks good. just watch the area were it slapps. You could put a speader patch on it to help save it. It really helps in all points of sailing, especially with the swept back speaders down wind. If you want to point well bingo! The only problem is trying to tack in lite air, Battens like to invert.

G

Main-Backstay

A friend just purchased new sails and had the same problem. In light winds the sail would hang on the backstay and not pass thru. He returned the main and had it recut..

Status
Not open for further replies.