RIP Tide

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I just got back from a visit to Puerto Rico. I've passed through before, but this was my first real stay. Absolutely beautiful and the people are as friendly and proud of their home as anywhere I've been.
I was there with my wife of almost 35 years, my son, and my daughter with her boyfriend. My son had to stay behind to do some work while the rest of us went to Seven Seas Beach to see how the snorkeling was.
We went down a long trail filled with lizards and fiddler crabs and birds like grebes and little herons until we came to Playa Escondida.

The surf was up making the water too murky to see for snorkeling so we just settled under a half knocked over sign at the end of the trail and waded in. My wife and daughter wasted no time getting wet and I followed, after settling our gear, while my daughter's boyfriend hung out on the beach. There wasn't much going on while my wife and daughter floated in the surf talking to each other, so I swam back to shore. There were rocks to the right and I thought I saw a calm spot that could provide some snorkeling. The swim back turned out to be hard going and it took a while to make it. I realized my wife and daughter were caught in a rip tide, but they hadn't noticed. I thought, they're going to be surprised when they have to really work to get back to shore. I caught their eye and pointed to a spot down the beach, that looked like the current was carrying them in the direction of, as a suggestion that it would be easier swimming out that way. There are a lot of rocks but this spot was in a gap that looked like it was easier to navigate.
They couldn't understand what I was saying and started swimming back to our spot on the beach. I walked back, around the barrier of rocks, and swam out to instruct them on where to swim to. Farther out, the surf was breaking on a shoal that turned out to be rocks and not a sandbar. The rip tide was carrying them towards the biggest breakers and that whole rocky end of the cove to the Northeast.
When I got to them, they were panicked and said they couldn't make it back. I told them they were fine and we would get out. I reminded them that they were both good strong swimmers and while it was hard swimming we weren't in danger of sinking.
Both my wife and my daughter are heavy women and they always gloat at me how they float higher than I do, head and shoulders fully out of the water, while I float at eyebrow level. I tried to use that to calm them.
Once out in the water with them, I could see it was not the best plan to swim the way I was hoping to direct them to. Too many rocks between and a secondary line of breaking surf. They were trying to swim directly against the current and I had to force them to turn down the beach instead of making straight for it. I suggested they keep their bodies as near the surface as possible to avoid the stronger under current and use the incoming waves to surf into shore on. My daughter, who had taken swimming lessons with the local swim team as a child had excellent technique and managed to get a little closer to shore, but was in danger of losing ground. She and I got separated from my wife so I told her she had this and to keep swimming in. I went back to get my wife. I caught up to Linda, my wife, and told her we couldn't swim straight for the beach, we had to swim farther up the beach to try and get out of the current. We both yelled for our daughter to turn up the beach too. She had returned to swimming straight in.
Our daughter, thankfully, followed our instructions and turned to the right where she eventually found a rock to stand up on. I wear glasses and had taken them off and stuffed them into a velcro pocket of my surf shorts, so I couldn't see her very well. Linda had to keep telling me where our daughter was. I could catch glimpses of the waves lifted just right.
I also had taken the underwater camera from my wife and tied it to the waist string of my shorts so she could have her hands free. We continued to swim and found ourselves constantly turning towards the beach instead of committing to swimming up the beach. We both grew tired and would slow until the breaking waves grew too close, then we renewed our efforts. Linda was feeling very defeated. Once I was satisfied our daughter was, at least temporarily, safe, I had my wife grab my t-shirt while I concentrated on swimming in the direction I believed was correct. It was hard going and I was getting very tired. I'd just stop and lay on my back to catch my breath until a wave washed over us and I had to lift up and spit and breath.
My foot hit a rock and I tried to stand on it, but the waves lifted me off. I caught the rock again and stood on my toes for just a moment. It was such a relief, even for the second or so it lasted. I began giving up myself. I told my wife I was too tired to keep this up. Maybe we should go with the flow and get out over on the rocky shore instead? I also suggested swim out past the breakers. I just wanted to stop and lay back and catch my breath at that point.
"No way." She said, "We can do this."
Finally, swimming on my back, my wife hanging onto the front of my shirt, I got a rock with my foot that we didn't get washed off of because there was another one and it was shallow enough to give me footing to stand against the out-rushing water. I lost my footing again but recovered quickly. We both managed to stand, learning at about a 30 degrees angle to the ground while the water pulled around us. We made another few steps and then another until we kept our feet and my wife waved an 'ok' signal toward the beach.
My daughter had made it to shore and Linda had told me she went up the beach in search of help. Her boyfriend had no idea what was happening and when she had waved to him from her rocky perch in the surf, he'd simply waved back and smiled. They'd managed to meet in the middle where it was only knee deep. Her boyfriend, when Linda waved her 'ok', caught my daughter just before she hit the call button on her phone for the coast guard.
We were in the water for nearly 2 hours. It was just after 12:30 when we got to the beach and it was 2:28 when we made it out of the water. For the first time, we looked up at the sign we'd parked under and it said, in Spanish, "no swimming, dangerous rip tide."

-Will (Dragonfly)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow. A bit of too much island adventure? Happy you guys are safe.
Never know when youth training like swim classes will be called upon in later life.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Very scary. I'm a good swimmer but I usually don't swim where there is no Life Guard protection. Usually.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Very scary. I'm a good swimmer but I usually don't swim where there is no Life Guard protection. Usually.
I have never given that a thought. I just jump in, pools, lakes, rivers, open ocean. Even the first time when I walked past my mother, who was giving my older brother a lesson in the shallow end of the pool, and I just jumped in the deep end. According to my mother, I swam by without an issue.
It's funny, but I was just talking the day before about how I'd never actually experienced a rip tide and was a little skeptical of their existence or their "real" danger. I was quite wrong. It is like trying to swim upstream in a river, there were even temporary standing waves that would lift up and collapse back down as they broke. I've always been comfortable in the water. Maybe less so now.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Good lesson for all of us. I've noticed my swim speed has dropped a bit in the last decade, must be the barnacles.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Glad you are all OK. Very sobering, but we all deal with the currents on our boats and this is no surprise. Moving water is a powerful force.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
we all deal with the currents on our boats and this is no surprise.
Yes indeed, that is partly why I posted, to get some discussion going about sailing into and off of beaches. My story got long so I didn't really get to that point.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:plus: Pretty scary! Didn't realize tides and currents were that strong there.
I think, looking at the surf crashing over the rocks at the end and on the ring of barrier rocks, that the waves were dumping thousands of extra gallons of water onto the beach at either end and it was just rushing out where we happened to be swimming.
The question is, can this situation be read by a practiced eye?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As a trailer sailor, I hope to find lots of beaches and similar environments to sail into. I also expect I will be much more aware of what can happen and not be as likely to expose myself or others to the dangers. The beach was beautiful and, farther down, much better for swimming. I hope to be able to identify those conditions before committing to such activities.
It also seems like the water can be read for beaching a boat as well as plunging in for a swim.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Holy Cow! That is just, wow! All for a silly sign that almost fell over. It really should be better placed. Glad all worked out and no one was any worst for wear.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
All for a silly sign that almost fell over. It really should be better placed.
Thank you Brian,
The sign had suffered from the hurricane. It was leaning way over and honestly, I thought it was just a typical public beach information, no littering, no life guard on duty, no dogs allowed sign. I hardly even let it register that there was a sign when we got there. It faced the beach, not the trail so we paid no attention, assuming we already knew what it said. WRONG!

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The question is, can this situation be read by a practiced eye?
Like most things ... It depends.
There are photos on the net that show aerial views with explanations.
I looked into it more, to get a better understanding, when a friend of mine died in a rip tide while on holidays with his buddies.

Thanks for the great post. Not good for it to happen, but your post may save someone's life.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I looked into it more, to get a better understanding, when a friend of mine died in a rip tide
I am so sorry to hear that. It seems like a terrible way to go because you get to the point of hopelessness first. In my case, I wasn't ever afraid for my life, but I did feel like quitting. When I told my wife, suddenly our roles reversed and she was, "Oh no you're not. You can do this."

It makes a difference having that support.

I do hope this helps someone, but I hope even more that it doesn't need to.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Really scary. Glad you all are OK. Good job recognizing the danger and then keeping your head and swimming to get out of the current rather than straight into it, and well done to Linda for the encouragement.