rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ron

I have a Macgregor 21' Venture, 1976 model. Until buying this boat I had never sailed and have done very well, however, I am still uncertain as to the rigging for the back of the boat. The line that controls the main sail. Also does this boat have a back stay? It looks like it because the wire from the top of the mast is too long to attach to the main sail. I know I sound ignorant but....This boat did not come with a shroud to keep the boom from coming up. Where can I get one. Pictures do help immensely however, Macgregor doesn't even show this boat anymore. Help.

J

Jack Kelly

Rigging a Mac/Venture 21

Ron - I am looking at a Venture 21 currently - not sure of the year - have written to Macgregor - no response yet. Curious what you paid for your '76 if you don't mind - you can e-mail me at ellenk@massed.net Not sure we will purchase this one but looks like a sound, good boat - they accepted my offer of $2,250 - no motor. Talk to ya soon. Jack.

J

john

I recently bought a 1971 venture, 9.8 merc, good condition, 4 sails, trailer, etc. Needed some tlc but have managed to sail it this summer. The stern rigging for the main sail is really tough to follow. There is a double fiddle block that hangs from the tang on the boom. There is a block at each side of the stern rails at rear corner on a loop. in front of the port block is a very different double swivel cam cleat with a loop.?? I,m still trying to make it work better but haven,t had time to get it the way I want it yet. I would be glad to send you a sketch or a picture if you send an address or e-mail box. MacGregor has been less than cooperative about the original rigging. They told me they didn't have a diagram or anything that I could go on. I used the various Mac Web sites with pictures and the aid of others and all I could find in writing to rig mine. I'm amazed that Mac would be so uncooperative. Makes you wonder about buying another in the future.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Confusing rigging

The confusion with the rigging also applies to my Venture 2-22! I've been looking at other sailboats, but am still not sure what MacGregor originally had in mind. Sure wish somebody could come-up with an old photo showing the boom rigging.

B

Brian

brochere

I have a 1977 venture I bought three years ago. I got Macgregor to send me a photocopy of some brochere they had left over that showed me how the original rigging was supposed to be. I might still have it if anyone wants to email me at brian@wzew.com I'll scan it and send it.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Response to the confusion.

It sounds to me like Ron and some others are having trouble understanding he rigging of this boat and the terms used to describe it. Can I help? First of all, I got confused about what Ron meant so here are some terms: 'Stay' - any fixed wire holding mast up 'Shroud' -stay at side of mast going to railing or thereabouts. The 'lowers' go from under the spreaders to the deck. The 'uppers' go to the masthead. All of this stuff is called 'standing rigging' because you don't mess with it whilst sailing. It just stands there. 'Boom crutch' = holds boom up like a leg. 'Topping lift' = wire or rope line holding boom up from masthead. Don't sweat the mainsheet tackle (stuff between boom and boat). It can be anything-- there is no rule for it. I would recommend about 3:1 purchase for a Venture 21, no more than 4:1. (You learned in 8th grade how to figure purchase, right?) Any decent blocks made for 3/8- 1/2" line and sailing applications will do. Look around in the junk that came with the boat or in a marina store's leftovers pile. No one cares where you get them from-- if it fits and does the job, install it (correctly!). Use nothing smaller than 3/8 yacht braid for rope lines. Never mind the load ratings-- smaller line is just not comfortable to hold in your hand. 3/8 will do just about everything on a V-21. Next-- ALL sailboats had BETTER have a backstay!!! This is the wire running from the masthead to the tang (metal plate) at the back of the boat. On a V-21 it will be to one side of the tiller. Get an all-stainless turnbuckle for it and have the marina people swage it. It had better not be too long (no room to tighten) nor too short (won't reach). Lastly-- Macgregor seems to be ONLY interested in promoting that awful 26-ft motorsailer thing right now. It's a shame because the older and smaller boats are superior on sailing ability and good bargains for beginners, and that's something that needs to be encouraged. I hope some of this helps. I grew up sailing in a boatbuilding family and want to see you guys enjoy it and learn from it. Also I like Macgregors a lot (and am looking for one myself!). EMail me with hassles or ask them on here. --glad to help. J Cherubini II Cherubini Art

R

Roland Ludlam

Reply to main boom rigging

Hi, I have a 1974 21'Venture with the same set up for the boom. The sheet is tied to the loop on the port side where the swivel cam cleat is located, goes up through the double block to the other block, back through the double block to the port block, and out through the cam. Works great. I've used it this way for 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.