rigging state alterations//altered state rigging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce

I own a masthead 21, on which I have made a few rig alterations (added masthead assembly and split backstay). I'd would like some feedback on a couple more ideas, if you don't mind... First, here's the existing rig: My mast is approx. 24 ft. in height, with backswept, long (3-4ft.) spreaders about 10 ft. off the deck. There is a single lower shroud which ties in at the bottom of the spreader bracket; the upper shroud goes fairly vertical till it kinks over the spreader and forward to the masthead. A single chainplate catches both shrouds, backset from the mast maybe 18", and I'd guess at a 12º setback. I'm thinking about converting to something resembling an earlier rig design. Earlier models had no spreaders, and the lower shroud instead would tie in further up- around 15 ft. The upper was a straight shot to the masthead. Same chainplate location as mine. What I am ultimately interested in doing is this: adding an inner forestay (babystay) to allow for adjustable mastflex (not usually much of an option with a masthead), doing away with the spreaders, going more or less with the original spreaderless design, and if necessary, adding a third shroud between upper and lower. Others have done a truss design for the upper lateral regions, apparently. The reason it seems like the spreaders need to go is that if I flex the middle of the mast, I will slacken the uppers (due to spreaders moving forward) and get a lot of fall-off. I have also thought of tying off some hightech line (let it catch the "fall-off") as a shroud backup, and going ahead with a babystay, with no change in the existing shroud arrangement. I do plan on flying a spinnaker, so want to be strong up high. Does anything proposed here sound like a disaster in the making? All this is motivated out of trying for better pointing and sail control. Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.