Rigging Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big Wave

Just bought a 1971 Ranger 26. Looking for specs on standing rigging. Boat won't be delivered for another 30 days so I can't go out and measure. Does any one know the headstay length for the tall rig? I am a very active salor and plan to run the Ranger up and down Florida's gulf coast. Looking for as much information as I can find on the 26.

H

Heffy

Time to wait and see

BW Very exciting a new boat! Unfortunately, this is the time to wait till the boat arrives. Rig it with what it has and do some sail testing. The R-26's scale is such that an extra inch in the wrong stay will adversly effect the sailing characteristics. I have an R-30 and I ended up lengthing my forestay 11/4 inches after messing around for 2 seasons. I talked to a rigger and explained what I had done and how. I learned I had 1 inch play in my turn buckle and needed an extra 1 1/4 to make any further adjustments. Your economy of scale is tighter so you may only get 1/2 to 3/4 in adjustment in your turn buckle and that may be enough for your boat. Good luck and check a rig tuning guide, any good sail maker can give you one. It's great reading and will kill the 30 days for you! Have fun with the new boat!

B

Bwave

Tuning Guide

Thanks Heffy. I'll take your good advice. Most of my sailing is single handed and I was looking into a furling head sail converson. Do you know anyone who is sailing a 26 with roller furling? I'd like to find out how much the furling rig impacts up wind performance. Also, my 26 is rigged with a quick deploy cutter forestay. Wire stay is shackled to a ring on the foredeck and winched tight at the mast winch. Have you seen this set up on a small Ranger before?

May 20, 2004
Ranger 23 Sequim WA
R-26 rigging

Hi,Bwave. Be careful, not all masts are made equal! Depends on who originally rigged or maybe sometime re-rigged the boat. It's important to get the correct mast rake, otherwise helm may be adversely affected. Also the tack point you refer to on the foredeck may possibly be for spinnaker pole downhaul,or spinnaker staysail. How far ahead of the mast is it (as a percentage of the J dim.)? I race an R-23 out of Sequim Bay WA but will be in Sarasota Mid Jan. I'd be happy to see your boat. Is it the one that was for sale in Key West? Howard.

B

Bwave

R-26 Rigging Sarasota

Howard, I would love to have you take a look at my R-26 while you are in Sarasota. Is thier a particular rigging/tunning guide that you recommend? I take delivery at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron the first week in January. She's coming overland and will stay in the yard getting rigged and ready (keel needs fairing) The boat was restored by a guy from Madison Florida. This is not the Key West boat. 1971 vintage. I can't give you specs on the cutter forestay deck fitting as the boat is up north right now.

H

Howard

Ranger 26 in Sarasota

Hi Bwave, just found your reply. I've been computerless for awhile. I'll stop by SSS to see if I can make contact. Are you still in the yard or on a mooring? Regards, Howard.

B

bwave

Meet you in Sarasota

Howard, she's on a mooring at the squadron. Have her rigged and sailing most weekends. Call if you are in town. 941-400-5377 Dave

G

Gene Gray

SPECS - Ranger 26

Ranger 26 This late 60’s/early 70’s IOR and MORC racer/cruiser was a hot boat in its day, and it still acquits itself reasonably well. But lightweight construction limits the 26’s suitability for offshore. LOA26' 3 LWL21' 9 Beam8' 8 Draft4' 4 Displacement5,850 lbs. Ballast2,050 lbs. Sail Area322 sq. ft. Jack Jensen, founder of Jensen Marine in 1957 and builder of Cal boats, was in the late 60s enjoying success with boats like the Bill Lapworth-designed Cal 40. But his boats sold better on the West Coast than in other areas of the country. In order to appeal to Easterners, Jensen formed Ranger Yachts and commissioned Gary Mull to design the boats. Both Cal and Ranger were located in Costa Mesa, California, and both were sold to the conglomerate Bangor Punta in 1973. When Bangor Punta moved production of Cal to Florida in early 1981, it pulled the plug on Ranger. In 1983, Bangor Punta sold Cal and O’Day to Lear Siegler, which produced a few small Rangers, and built the three lines in Fall Riv... Welcome to the Ranger Sailboat Owners Association web site. This is a web site dedicated to Ranger Sailboats Owners and enthusiasts.Our purpose is to be informative for your needs as a Ranger owner and to share our knowledge of the Ranger Line,maintenance,repair,cruising,racing and Ranger Rendezvous.We hope this site can be helpful in your needs as a Ranger owner. Gary Mull was a successful designer in the heydays and rebirth of light displacement boats of the mid sixties, His credits include the Santana 22, 27,and 37:the Ranger 22, 23, 26, 28, 29, 32, 33 and 37,:the Newport 30 and 33;the Freedom 28, 30, 36, 42, 45 and a wide variety of winning race boats from 1/4 Tonners to Two Tonners,6-meter match racers to the 12-Meter USA.His boats were built in many countries. Gary served as chairman of the International Technical Committee of the Offshore Racing Council,the group that administered the International Offshore Rule.A measure of a yacht designer is the number and record of people who apprentice under him and then go forth on their own,these people included Carl Shumacher,Ron Holland and Jim Antrim. (courtesy of Steve Henkel) Gary's first successful design the Santana 22 of which several hundred were sold led to the design of the Santana 27.The Santana 22 and 27 started cutting into the sales of the big competition of the era,the Cal's 20,25 and 28.As a result Jensen Marine,builders of the Cal line saw both a problem and opportunity.Jack Jensen had a exclusive agreement with Bill Lapworth,designer of the Cal line of boats,because of this agreement Jensen couldn't build anything but Lapworth boats.So in 1967 Jensen started a new company,Ranger Yachts,with the same exclusive agreement with Gary Mull. (courtesy of Steve Henkel) The first boat designed by Gary Mull for Ranger Yachts was the Ranger 26(1969) which later went on to win the North American 1/2 ton Championship,this was followed by the Ranger 33(1970)which to this day is almost legendary on the race course as well as cruising,then came the Ranger 29(1970) which became a successful racer in her own right and continues to win to this day in PHRF racing as well as a successful cruiser.The next boat in the line was the Ranger 23,she went on to win the Whitney Series and place second in the 1/4 Ton North Americans even though she wasn't designed to the IOR rule,she also went on to win the Yachting One of a Kind Regatta against all production boats to 30 feet. Page 2 of 2 The first of Gary's Ranger IOR boats was the Ranger 37(1972) one ton which was the last production boat to win the SORC.This was followed by the Ranger 32 (1973)3/4 ton racer and successful PHRF racer. Next in this line of IOR boats was the Ranger 28 (1974)1/2 ton racer and later the Ranger 22 which was a successful quarter ton racer and advanced engineering one design and PHRF racer.Garys IOR racers were known for their sculpted beauty of their blister decks and tumblehome hulls, which has made these boats timeless in their beauty as Gary's earlier Ranger designs.Gary designed one later generation ultra light displacement Ranger 26,then parted ways with Ranger Yachts due to problems with the parent company Bangor Punta..Ranger Yachts created one last boat in the Ranger 30 which is a modern looking racer/cruiser and still command a good price because of their looks,roominess and sailing comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.