Rig Tuning Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
I have a 1979 9.2A with a mast oscillation problem. At rest in the slip, with winds off the beam, the mast oscillates fore and aft at about 4 or 5 hz. I have backed off on all the standing rigging and redone my tuning procedure two times and still can't get it to stop. I had all the shrouds hardened like guitar strings and it still did it. has anyone out there ever had a similar issue?

This boat has been very well cared for. Structurally it is very sound. I am at a loss. Any guidance would be appreciated.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Do you have a roller furler? I had an issue like this with my last boat, which had a CDI unit with a flexible foil and in hindsight it might have been related to insufficient tension on the jib halyard.

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
Bob,

I do have a Harken roller furler. There is some sag in the forestay. It doesn't seem excessive. But having sailed only three years, I don't have much wisdom about these things.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I did a little research and it sounds like you need to check your mast rake. It should likely be raked 3/4 to 1 inch aft. You are experiencing "mast pumping." That may also explain the sag in your forestay. I suggest you search the site with terms like "mast rake" "rig tuning" and "mast pumping" to see what wisdom you can glean, or post to "ask all sailors" as this is not S2 specific and you will get more responses there.

BobM

Status
Not open for further replies.