RIG TUNING A 37.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Ole Andersen

I am interested in knowing if anybody is sucsessfully racing a 37.5. I have been doing this for 6 months now and I have not had much luck. The boat seems unable to point as high as most of my competitors. The mast has about 3" of bend and is raked about 4". How much difference does it make to replace a big fixed 3 blade prop with a feathering one such as the max prop? Hope somebody can give me some clues

T

teddy jensen

i dont race but

my mast on my 35.5 has about 8" of bend, ive heard you can go as much as 10". as far as a prop a feathering would do better, but how bad are you getting beat.

A

Alice C.

the rig may not be the problem

My husband and I are very successful racing our 37.5. You must get rid of the 3 bladed prop. If you race Phrf the credit for a 3 blade does not offset the incredible drag of the prop. We have a Martec elliptical, but any feathering or folding prop will make a big difference. Our rig is set up pretty tight, we have good sails, and lots of experience(over 20 years)in racing seriously. We had no idea when we bought the Hunter that it would be so fast. The more we sail it the better it gets. Yesterday, we sailed 26 miles in 5-15 knots in just over 5 hours. Keeep practicing, change the prop, and take advantage of the boat's excellent speed off the wind. It will usually compensate if you don't do that well on the upwind leg.Alice C.

A

Alan

DIDO

You need lots more mast rake and dump the 3 blade. That huge fixed 3 blade is like dragging a bucket through the water. What about your sails and controls? Adjuctable genoa cars are a must in order to be able to shift gears effectivly and good quality sails are the horsepower that moves the machine. We started racing a few years ago in PHRF and got our ass kicked, but with practice and upgrades came 'silver'. Now we are winning more often than not.

A

Alan

NAH!!

That's nautical lingo for 'Ditto'. In nautical speak nothing is what it intuitively seems like it should be. ...OK OK so I can't spell!! However, spelling is NOT a prerequisite for racing.

F

Frank Michell

what is PHRF rating?

what is your PHRF rating. 37.5 has many ratings ranging from 98(?) to upper 130s. Nobody knows why.

A

Alan

Rating Area

Each Sailing area has a local PHRF committee. They set the local standards for handicapping their fleet. As a result different standards are applied to the different fleets. Your boat may rate 98 in one sailing PHRF fleet and 105 in another. What is important is that the difference in the ratings between boats in the same fleet remains pretty much constant. Example, if you rate 98 and your competitor in your fleet rates 90 then he owes you 8 seconds/mile. Everything being equal, if you move to a different PHRF fleet and your rating changes to 105, more than likely your friends boat will rate 97. He will still owe you 8 sec/mile. This, of course, is not exactly how it works, but in general it does. There are other factors that also effect the ratings from one area to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.