Rig tensioning

Dec 4, 2019
Beneteau 423 Jacksonville
I have a Beneteau 423 and the fore and back stays needed tensioning. The mast had a slight bend aft. The USSpars catalogue has a procedure to tighten the forestay by lifting the roller furling apparatus and tightening the forestay underneath, but there is no turnbuckle. After a little tensioning, we decided to relieve the extra torsional twist we put on the wire by removing the clevis from the deck and letting it unwind, if there was any twist. Boy was there! But as it turned out, the threads between the stay and the stainless clevis had seized (despite ample lubrication) and we have no more adjustment in the forestay.
It doesn't seem correct to twist the forestay while tensioning. Does anyone have any thoughts on this procedure?
The boat is fine, but the rig still needs a little more tension.

Thanks,
Jeff

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
On a masthead rig, forestay tension is controlled with the backstay. If your backstay does not have a convenient adjusting mechanism, you might consider the upgrade.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
As Joe states above if it is a masthead rig you tighten the backstay. The headstay length controls mast rake. If your boat rounds up in a gust shorten the headstay. If your boat heels excessively in a gust, lengthen the headstay. Personally I prefer heeling in a gust to rounding up. My boat used to round up in a gust no matter what I did with the helm. I hated the lack of control. After removing some of the mast rake I found a comfortable setting with more heeling and less round up. On the other hand, if it is a fractional rig I have no experience there. Which is it?

Dec 4, 2019
Beneteau 423 Jacksonville
Thanks, Joe and Roy S. The boat is a masthead rig. If I tighten the backstays (it is a split back stay) the mast will rake further aft. I can't at the moment shorten the forestay, as you recommend, to take rake out of the mast, because the seized threads in the fitting. I still am not sure how to tension the forestay without imparting twist to the wire, if the fitting weren't seized.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Jeff
I note "I have a 2004 Beneteau 423 (third owner +)".
I am guessing the Previous Owners did not share with you any work they may or may not have done to the forestay.

Now you are puzzled and concerned about a possible issue. You have a nice boat and are correct to identify an issue such as "torqued" forestay wire. If you asked a local experienced rigger about the issue they would likely say that is not normal. This would confirm your suspicions that you should do something about it.

What to do?

I would look at replacing the forestay with one that is slightly shorter than the current one. I would install a turnbuckle as a part of the new fittings. This assumes that your furler is one which permits such rigging structure.

If not then you need to measure new forestay at "neutral tortion" to provide the specified rake with no backstay compression. This is the condition you would sail downwind. You would adjust the backstay to compress the mast and tension the forestay when you sail "into the wind" as needed.

Since it is not normal to have the forestay tensioned by twisting the wire the forestay is suspect for torsion damage in my thinking.

It is your boat and you get to decide. If unsure please ask for professional help from a rigger.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When tuning your forestay by tightening the backstay you are not only pulling on the backstay you are compressing the mast towards the keel. All this "tuning" is in reality tuning the whole boat.

You tighten the stays you pull up on the hull and down on the shrouds the mast tips to one side. If the mast is flexible you can put a wave in the mast as you sight up it. The spreaders serve to reduce this wave and help to keep the mast in column. But there is only so much they can do when a boat owner is committed to tightening their shroud.

You are looking for the right balance for your boat, understanding it's age and all its components.