Riding Sail for C-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
In the May 2006 issue of Catalina's Mainsheet Magazine, there is an article on a "Riding Sail" in the C350 section. The little sail is used to keep the boat from sailing all over when the boat is at anchor, which our C-22 certainly does. The author of the article describes how to determine the angles for the triangular sail that goes above the boom. My question is that if this sail is 6 feet long by 5 feet high, or 15 square feet for a C350, how big should one be for a C-22? What I think is that if the area for the main sail of a C350 is 276 square feet, and the area of the main on a C-22 is 101 square feet, then proportionally the area for a righting sail for a C-22 would be about 5.5 square feet, or about 3.6 feet long and 3 feet high. Does anyone have any experience with a riding sail for a C-22? I checked the archives and didn't find anything for boats under 35 feet. One of the articles said that the size didn't matter, it would only affect the time that it took for the boat to respond to the wind. I have already seen our boat 90 degrees to other boats in an anchorage. Thanks, Aldo

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Anchor riding sail

Hi Aldo, I'm not keeping ours at a mooring but Sailrite has a kit for one that is 12.5 sq ft. They say it's good for boats up to 35 ft. I would think that something even smaller would be adequate for a 22ft boat.

S

Sean

Riding Sail

Yup that's about right. Mine is 7x7x7 and works perfectly. Catalina 3O, I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.