Riding sail at anchor?

Jun 28, 2023
cal 34 Norfolk
Recently purchased a Cal 34, 1969 build. Cruised a few days on the Chesapeake. At anchor the boat sat about 45-60 degrees to the wind instead of directly head to wind like I expected. I’m guessing it was caused by the windage forward. I had rigged a wind scoop in the forward hatch, plus the mast has steps. The sideways position kept the wind scoop from being effective. Any suggestions?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Our boats have high swept bows, with a generous amount of freeboard. I would think that is more the cause than a wind scoop. Certainly the wind scoop helped. Can the windscoop be turned or angled to improve the air flow? Does that impact the boats gyrations?

On my 35 at anchor, in winds above 20, she will hunt. I have mitigated that some by holding the rudder to one side. She kind of fights it but eventually is becomes a sort of hove-to set up.

Have not tried it yet, but think a riding sail may help.

With the large keel designed by Lapworth, the hull is moved by water flow, current changes and stream flow.

I have found all of these idiosyncrasies to be benign in nature. Hope you enjoy your Classic.

Jun 28, 2023
cal 34 Norfolk
Our boats have high swept bows, with a generous amount of freeboard. I would think that is more the cause than a wind scoop. Certainly the wind scoop helped. Can the windscoop be turned or angled to improve the air flow? Does that impact the boats gyrations?

On my 35 at anchor, in winds above 20, she will hunt. I have mitigated that some by holding the rudder to one side. She kind of fights it but eventually is becomes a sort of hove-to set up.

Have not tried it yet, but think a riding sail may help.

With the large keel designed by Lapworth, the hull is moved by water flow, current changes and stream flow.

I have found all of these idiosyncrasies to be benign in nature. Hope you enjoy your Classic.
Thanks. Yes angling the wind scoop did help a little and I did turn the rudder and set the brake. The wind was light and the boat didn’t hunt, it just sat starboard side to the wind. We were in a small harbor, no current noticeable. Not a big deal but it was hot and I wanted to get the most out of the wind scoop.