Rhode to chain splice

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Sheehan, Fortress Anchors

Rope to chain splice

Mark, it is my understanding that an eye splice on a thimble gives you 90-95% of the rope strength, and with a proper rope to chain splice as you described, you can achieve about the same.

M

Mark

What is your recomendation for fixing a nylon rope to the anchor chain. I have been using the rope to chain splice where the three strands of the nylon rope are intertwined thru the links of the chain. From what I have read this is the only safe way of connecting rope to the anchor chain. Your thoughts very much appreciated.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Rode to Chain Splice URL

For your review, below is a link to a rode-to-chain splice. http://www.bluemoment.com/warpchainsplice.html

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Splicing

Hi Mark, I tried the splice that Paul has a link to, it works great if you don't have a windlass. Paul's link is probably the strongest splice. I tried this last summer and the windlass had lots of trouble with it and then chewed up the rope. This was just playing with it at the dock. I then respliced using the normal way of splicing. Have pictures of this but don't have them up on the website yet. Jim S/V Java

L

Len Fennell

Splice test atUS Sailing

The site below has test results for the normal "back" splice to the last chain link that Jim uses. If I read it correctly, they conclude that if properly done and with regular inspection for wear, it is ok to use.

Mar 21, 2004
Here is the picutre of my splice

This is what I would considier most all of us have for line to chain splice. I think the splce is about 8" and tappering as it trails back. I also used a piece of strink wrap, plus sewing in the last splice ends to fix it in place. Jim S/V Java

D

Don

Jim's picture

I'd be more concerned with the bare strand shown in the pic abrading on the last chain link - that's the only thing holding the two pieces together. Do folks commonly depend on that holding? Don Illusion

T

Tom S

Don. Answer - All the time

Well maybe not all ;) But a lot of people do, as do I. Just monitor the wear, but I don't know of any that have let go. But I HAVE heard of rope rodes letting go . But not at the connection to the chain, rather because of chafe at the bow of a boat from an anchor roller. You need this type of rope chain splice connection if you want to use it through a lot of windlass'

D

Don

Wrong question

I guess I asked the wrong question Tom. Of the two described ( see Paul's URL reference site in the UK vs. the single link over splice which Jim attached a picture of), either would run through a windlass equally well. Of the two, it seems to me that the single splice over a link is inherently weak and prone to chafe. Why would anyone select it rather than the multiple link splice? I'll let this go soon... Don Illusion

Mar 21, 2004
Don, ref the UK link

This is from a post I made on 09/06/04 and copied here from the archives.... I believe the UK splice technique will not work with a windlas. Very Strong BUT. Jim News is this will NOT work with a windlas. I tried it this weekend as I was putting on new chain and line. After about the 6th pass thru the windlass the splice started coming apart. The stretch and pull of the line caused the chain to bind in the windlass and the line was getting chewed up. Well back to the other splice.

D

Don

Thanks Jim

Good info Jim. Guess everything on a boat is a compromise. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.