reverse polarity lite

Sep 27, 2011
Catalina 310 San Diego
When I turn on the battery charger on the AC panel the reverse polarity lite comes on very dim. The same thing happens when I turn on the outlets but only is the microwave is plugged in. The lite is so dim you have to be down looking directly at it but it definately comes on. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Rafe

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Has any wiring changed lately? Have you had the boat for awhile and now seeing the polarity light?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
make sure your plugs are fully connected/seated. I have had that light come on in my own slip where I know the polarity is correct. I have 1 25' cord plugged into a 50' cord to reach the breaker, and sometimes have the light come on if the plugs are not tight.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
for 10 dollars you can get an outlet checker, that plugs into the outlet and lets you know if there is a problem and what it is....
otherwise you will probably have to pull and inspect every outlet and see where the problem is... it could be a bad connection rather than a wrong connection.
the fact that the light is dim only means the problem could be anywhere that has any common connection with the circuit that the charger and microwave are on... or it could be a problem with the appliances themselves, but not likely... dont rule it out without checking them.

Sep 27, 2011
Catalina 310 San Diego
No wiring has changed and it is possible the lite has come on for some time since it is hard to see.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
try to find something like this... almost any home improvement store carries one brand or the other.
it can be very helpful in tracking a problem, and depending on how the GFCI's are wired, it could lead you directly to the problem.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Did you tell the marina? Have you talked to any of your dock mates to see if they are experiencing this problem? My brother had this problem at his slip. Found out the marina's wiring was loose to his hook up. You can also check the outlet that your microwave is plugged in to. Unplug the shorepower and check that outlet to see if the hot and common wires are connected properly and on the correct side.

Sep 27, 2011
Catalina 310 San Diego
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I've used used them all. Changed shore power connection, got an outlet checker and checked all the outlets, checked with dock mates and checked for loose/corroded connections and only managed to move the lite from when the outlet switch was on to when the water heater was on but now it has moved back to the outlets. The only constant is the lite always comes on when the battery charger is on. I think its time for an electrician since my electrical knowledge is mostly limited to Its magic and it will kill you.