reverse charging

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steven f.

Recently a friend gave me a small solor charging panel that plugs into a 12 volt receptacle (the cig. lighter type). He told me the panel will charge my battery(s) this way. Will this work? I guess I'd need something to keep the power from reversing and draining the batteries if it wasn't charging. Any thoughts on this welcome.

N

Nancy Berg

Diode Closes

If it's like the one we have, there is a diode in the panel that closes when not charging to prevent reversing. We have usee ours successfully for 2 years to keep the battery topped off. Since we don't motor much and don't have an inverer this provides just enough charge to replace what we use in an average day. Bill and Nancy Berg s/v Zia H260

J

Jim McCue

solar charging mounting

I know that you need an in line diode to prevent discharging. My question is where have you mounted the solar panel so that it works adequately yet is "out of the way" and secure. I notice that you are in the SW. Here in NJ the sun may be less robust. I thought it might be interesting if it could work if "suction-cup" mounted to the underside of the acrylic plastic sliding companion way cover. It would be less vulnerable to theft or windage. My interest would be to keep a trickle charge on the batteries so they don't go soft over 2 weeks+. Sure, a hard wired charger would do the trick but the yard/marina does't approve of them.

N

Nancy Berg

Locating Solar Panel

Our panel is flexible with grommets on the corners. We tie it in various places depending on the angle of the sun. I have seen them tied to the boom and tied to lifelines or stern rails. It may be that placing it UNDER plexiglass will reduce its effectiveness. There has to be some deflection of the rays by the glass. Our slip faces due east so this time of year we tie it to the bulkhead facing west. More than enough sun. Have not had a problem with theft (so far). Bill and Nancy Berg s/v Zia H260

G

Gary Bridi

Solar Panel mount on badkstay?

I purchased a 15 watt Panel from Radio Shack with a charge controller for about $110. It is about 36" x 16". I just got the boat (1992 H23) out of winter storage and I there is not a good out of the way place on the deck, to locate it. I am now planning to mount it horizontally accross the split backstay, high enough so it is above the bimini and out of the way. It weighs about 9 pounds and I am having second thoughts...anyone have any thoughts about whether or not a constant 9 lb load on the backstay will be a problem?

J

Jim Kolstoe

movable panel

You need to make sure that there is a diode to keep from discharging the battery through the panel at night. As for placement, mine is not permanently set. I stow it when we're aboard. When we're away, it lock it on top of the slider hatch using a loop of SS wire that goes to the cabin lock. The 5w panel is fine for keeping the battery topped, but takes a long time to restore the battery if you seriously deplete it. It is also low enough in power that it can be left hooked up for long periods without overcharging the battery - a consideration if your life might keep you from getting to your boat often. JIm Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Don't Know The Answer, but...

Since no one has answered here is my two cents worth. My concern about using the stays for mounting things, including radar, is the constant sideways (perpendicular to the stay) movement created about a somewhat heavy object. Potentially this could cause metal fatigue of the part somewhere (pins, connectors, etc.). For example, a few years ago a Hunter 43 was returning from Australia when they lost their mast about 600 miles west of Hawaii. Upon examination of the forstay it was determined the failure was due to metal fatigue. I talked to the owner and he said because the boat went so fast they seldom used the jib and consequently the constant sideways movement of the forstay caused the failure. Recommended alternative for solar panel location: Consider rigging something up from the pushpit to the aft most stantion with a horizontal 1-inch stainless tube at the height of the top lifeline and attach the panel to it with plastic adaptors with 1-inch holes. Because the stantion is tapered one would probably have to replace it to make the connection. When the panel is not used it is vertical and when used just swing it up to the horizontal position. If the above is confusing please advise. The above is just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.