Retractable Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe

Can anyone give me their opinion on the retractable keel on the 311. I was going to purchase the 331 with the retractable keel. How are these configrations on a beat? Do they point high? What happens if one runs aground?

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Fixed v.retractrable

Jan.30,2001 Dear Joe, I assume you have a particular reason for wanting the retractable keel, such as trailer sailing the boat. You're going to find that the boat points adequately (50° off true wind or perhaps a bit better) before you are pinching. On other points of sail you may not notice any difference from many other fixed keel boats. However, if you are planning on going racing make sure your rating takes into consideration that retractable keel difference. As for grounding, I've been on a few that hit bottom. In only one case did a boat spring a leak, and that was not a Beneteau. Of course one should try to avoid skinny water, and if you must hit bottom, aim for mud :) In our club that proofed troublesome, since the rhumb line between two marks on one of the race courses lead through a spit of land. I actually went aground there once with the centre board up, but that's another story. Assuming you plan to trailer sail the boat and racing isn't an issue, I think you will find the windward performance of the 331 satisfactory. The best way to find out for sure is to take it for a test sail first and decide for yourself. There is nothing like a real world test to sort the baby out from the bath water and the current owner should have no objection to that. Of course the water where you are could still be a little stiff this time of year. Brian Pickton, of BeneteauOwners.net, Aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

W

Warren

I think only the 311 has the retractable keel. I have a 331 and it's shoal draft but not retractable. Warren S/V Jetmags B331

Status
Not open for further replies.