Retractable keel malfunction on 1983 vintage S2 6.7

hmorse

Nov 11, 2019
S2 S2 6.7 Anderson
Beautiful race day on Lake Hartwell is upstate SC when rudder on my 1983 S2 6.7 suddenly became unresponsive. It appeared to be intact and in position so I assumed that problem had to be with retractable keel. Again all appeared to be in order so I cranked it up a couple of turns. This seemed to resolve the control problem but it worries me that something deeper might be involved. Recent bottom job done on lift with no apparent problem reported. Any thoughts, experience or ideas appreciated. Harry

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
How unresponsive was it? Is it possible there were weeds on the keel or rudder that you allowed to slip off? We’ve had seaweed clumps cause very bad leeway and limited rudder response.

hmorse

Nov 11, 2019
S2 S2 6.7 Anderson
Interesting thought. No seaweed in lake but semi-submerged debris possible. Partial retraction or tightening of keel seemed to correct it. Thanks.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
From your description it sounds like something wrapped around the rudder or keel and slid off before you could see it.

On the Great South Bay that’s a common problem and it’s always a huge clump of seaweed on the rudder or keel.

hmorse

Nov 11, 2019
S2 S2 6.7 Anderson
I became gradually and increasingly aware that the boat was not responding to my rudder. I was unable to come about or adjust coarse. Again all seemed to be intact on inspection of rudder and raising the retractable keel several turns seemed to restore control. I sailed yesterday and all seemed to be in order. Suppose the debris or seaweed equivalent theory reasonable. Hoping it won't happen again! Thanks all for input. Harry