Restoring sun faded teak

cam

Oct 5, 2014
catalina 310 perth
Hi all, I own a 2005 310 based in sunny Western Australia. Although I take precautions to protect my teak fitout from the sun the area just inside the main hatch is showing signs of sun damage and teak fading. Can anyone suggest an easy product to use for teak restoration. Thank you...Cam

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Um, what teak do you have on your 310? One of the selling points to me was the lack of teak. Only wood we have is the hatch boards. Sand and refinish every couple of years.

cam

Oct 5, 2014
catalina 310 perth
Um, what teak do you have on your 310? One of the selling points to me was the lack of teak. Only wood we have is the hatch boards. Sand and refinish every couple of years.
Thanks JK. I am referring to the grab handles at the side of the hatch and the wood panel on the outside of the toilet/shower cubicle Cam

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Smitty's right, but if that varnish costs you an arm & a leg, I'd just use what he does. Reason is that IIRC that varnish is water soluble, not so great except for finding out exactly where leaks occur since they show up right away! :)

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We were at a boat parts sale and picked up an extra single loop teak hand rail and I took off the hand rail on the port side, going down into the interior. I also sanded that down along with the new one during the winter and applied MANY coats of Tung Oil and re-installed it and Installed the new one on the inside of the head for hand stability while under way. Tung oil is a hard waterproof surface and looks nice but I do not think I would use it on the whole wall.

cam

Oct 5, 2014
catalina 310 perth
Smitty's right, but if that varnish costs you an arm & a leg, I'd just use what he does. Reason is that IIRC that varnish is water soluble, not so great except for finding out exactly where leaks occur since they show up right away! :)
Thanks Stu

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
If you are going to use oil, use motor oil. Price is right and it does not break down like most oils do when applied to wood. Chief