Restoring Macgregor 1977 24ft 11in

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

Hi. I've recently become a McGregor owner since I've inherited one from a friend of mine who passed away. The boat is in disrepair and I basically don't know anything about sailboats or boating. It's a 1977 McGregor 24' 11" would apprieciate any help getting any informatiion or any help or pictures concerning it. I would really like to get it back in the water up and running, thanks for any help you can offer. Dave at banshee@aol.com.

W

Woody

it's a 25

I read somewhere in the paper work where the hull of my Mac 25 was 24'11", so if you look under that you will have most of the specs for your boat. Check out the pictures of the 25 to see if they match up and get a good idea of what it will look like when your done. Good luck and happy sailing Dave.

M

Mike

Time to Find out.

Welcome to sailing. If this is your first sailboat you might get a copy of Chapmans guide. You also might want to rent a small (12 to 14 foot) boat to try sailing first. A 25'er is a little much for the first time out. If you don't like sailing (and sadly some don't) you might not want to spend the money and time to fix the old girl up. Try it first in a rental or friends boat. By the year you mentioned, you might have a Venture 25 made by MacGregor. If you have a single berth under the port side of the cockpit and no fairing around the keel then you most likely have a Venture. The other give aways are the fact that the gally is directly opposite the forward seat of the gally table and there is a small single width seat, usually without cushions, just forward of the gally proper. However the best way is to check by VIN number. There is a lot of information out there and some is great and some not so great. Don't try to save on anything. A Mac is a bare bones boat and everything on it is needed to sail safely and correctly (excapt the porta-potty). EVERYTHING IS A SAFETY RELATED ISSUE !!!!! Do it right and she will be there for you. Do it wrong and you may have a long, long swim. Happy sailing, Smile your a boat owner. Mike

D

Doug Rodrigues

Fairing?

I'm confused. My 1981 Mac 25 doesn't have a fairing. The vin number confirms that it is an '81. It did have that slide-out galley that I removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.