Restore or not?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A friend called me today about her "find" and wanted my opinion on how to make this old PERKO mast head light Bright and Shiny.
She hopes to use it as a Patio Light.

What are your opinions and options?

A very big masthead light.
Perko1.jpeg

Note power inlet fitting on bottom and PERKO brand name on the top screw to open bulb access.
perko2.jpeg

Close up of Brasso polished area....

Perko3.jpeg

Looks like Brass to me.
Jim...

PS: Modern version PERKO Inc. - Catalog - Navigation Lights - White Masthead Light [0110]

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Try a little ketchup, the acid in the ketchup may take off some of the tarnish with scratching.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
What a great find! :cool:

If the lens is plastic, some headlight restoring buffing compound should work well. I used some of that on my opening ports on my H26 and they cleaned right up. If the lens is glass, there are glass polishing compounds.... a buff wheel on a dremel should work well. The brass is easy.... some tarn-x and then silver polishing compound.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I'd tend to clean it up real good and leave as-is. A lot of the charm of this is in the weathering. IMHO

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Isn’t it more likely bronze and not brass? Bronze is more copper colored and brass is more yellow.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Try a little ketchup, the acid in the ketchup may take off some of the tarnish with scratching.
I never thought of that, I'll have to give it a try. I have a few brass items that could use a little help.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Polish the glass, leave the patina. The bronze will always age. Once it has the patina, it will stay that way. It is a beautiful light!
Of course, I would polish the heck out of it once, get it shiny, and then get lazy and let it age...

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Bronze from Perko
View attachment 168439

Brass from Perko
View attachment 168440

Hmmm?
Jim...

PS: I suggested she send pictures to Perko for their info.
Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc and is used mostly for decorative items because it resembles gold in color. It is not used in marine items exposed to weather, salt water, or water in general. Bronze is made from copper and tin and is used extensively in marine fittings exposed to the elements. The picture above of the bell is plated bronze and not at all indicative of the object from the OP. A boat mast light fixture will be bronze, not brass. Here's a pic of what they look like in raw form. Clearly where the item was polished to remove the patina it closely resembles the bronze bar in this picture.

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I do believe those lights are soldered copper.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I do believe those lights are soldered copper.
That was my first impression too. Then I thought "no way". Perko should be able to confirm.

If it is copper, then I would not remove the patina.
______
Methinks the top bell is chrome or nickel plated
Perko does offer the Chrome plated one too, but I got those brass/bronze pictures from Perko website.

___
That find must be very old and meant for a BIG Mast.
Jim...

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The Liberty Bell is made of bronze. Perko should correct their photo that is not an accurate description of what they are selling. It should say "chrome or nickel plated bronze."

Attachments