Repurpose Generator Space for Watermaker?

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I have an H38 with the FP4200 generator, which I don't use. Currently 600AHr LiFePO4 house batteries 660W of solar, and stock Hitachi internally regulated alternator.

If I end up going the Bahamas this winter I'm seriously considering repurposing the generator space for a 12v watermaker. Soliciting input, especially from anyone who has already done this.

I like the idea as I already have a through hull under the boat to pick up raw water, and have the generator exhaust to dump waste water. I have large cables from that space to the panel (I think 0AWG).

What else do I need to think about?

For the water maker itself, I'd need to fabricate some sort of mounting board for the various components, plumb the intake and exhaust, and somehow get the product water into the tank. How should that be routed? To the top of the tank? Or could I run the product water to the fresh water manifold and let pressure push it into the tank via the current feed from the tank to the manifold (close by under the galley sink).

In the electrical side, I could repurpose the cabling and move it to a dedicated 12v house-side breaker. Where? Then simply remove the generator control panel and its wiring. Anything I need to do with the A/C side inputs from the generator?

I'm probably going to add another 2-400 W solar, additional controller, and am considering either going with an external regulator on the current alternator (will this buy me much?) or even a larger Balmar or similar (still a small frame alternator though) and charging house directly and back to start via dc-dc. Currently I'm charging start, then house via dc-dc.