Repowering Project Research - Volvo MD2B

Mar 31, 2012
Nord Cantieri 38 St Marys
Well the cost of parts has pushed me to the limit of thinking seriously about replacing our beloved MD2B.

I am wanting to know what the options are for a drop in / no modifications replacement.with the same foot print.

Thus far I know that both Volvo and Betamarine have a solution that fits. Are there any other manufacturers out here I should consider.

Also, who has the best warranty service of the bunch out there.

Thanks in advance,
Sailmaster

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Word of advice: NEVER assume it's a drop-in swap! I made that mistake replacing a Universal M25 with an M25XPB. Had to modify the stringers, make a custom exhaust,...
That said, one with what looks like the same footprint will be easier to install than one completely different. One thing to look for: the exhaust probably exits on the other side of the engine from yours.
As for what make: put Yanmar on the list, although I don't recommend them. I'm putting in a Beta. If you hate the cost of parts, DON'T get a Yanmar!

druid

Mar 31, 2012
I am leaning towards a Beta based on the research I have done in the past and reputation they seem to have built. Plus they have a drop in solution. Does anyone have comments on their warranty service?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You can buy a lot of parts for cost of repower...is the volvo healthy now? I have a volvo MD17C that was going through more oil than fuel..(so to speak)...I decided to rebuild it for about 1/4 cost of a new engine/saildrive. I still had good oil pressure with only 2400 hrs on it so i left the cam/crank alone. Its an easy engine to rebuild doing everything from pistons on up as you can leave the block in place. But i did all the labor myself. Also remember to check the gear ratios of the gearbox. With a new engine, you might also have to replace it also. If I replaced my volvo with a Beta, I would also have to replace the saildrive due to differences of max engine speeds between the two.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Yeah there's usually a LOT of "scope creep" in replacing an engine: New prop for sure, maybe new propshaft, have a look at the stuffingbox (OK, saildrive...), might want to replace the exhaust system, time to replace the fuel tank with something bigger, add some instrumentation...

druid

Mar 31, 2012
I agree with all that have posted here. She is a good motor. However, I need to find a better source for starters. There is a company called Rare Electrical which is the only source for after market starters. They are 329.00 a piece and they are crap. I'm having to change my third one in 3 years. I am absolutely not going to pay the piracy price for an OEM unit.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Take a starter (hopefully OEM) to a reputable rebuild shop. One that does the work onsite and does not ship it out. Interview the shop guy and ask questions. Tell them to replace all bearings/bushings/brushes etc with a good name brand. Tell them to replace the armature/solenoid with the same. Might cost a few hundred, but it should last and a good rebuild shop should know where to source quality parts. They know how to seat brushes and its not hard just takes a little time. Even if you have to ship it. Keep a cheap one on hand for a spare. A good rebuild shop can make it like (volvo) new. What fails on yours? Sure its not boat related?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Yikes! $2400 for a starter? Mine would be $2000....probably why i went to the rebuild shop when i rebuilt the engine...i drooled for his test station...large wire, knife switches with large Weston mirrored analog meters..and thats about how old the rebuilder was. Was very knowledgeable..Mine still worked and he said nothing was really wrong with it but went through it anyway since it was out. And i know i started out with a good one.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I bought a lot of stuff from Marine Parts Express in Maine and French Creek Marina in NY. I bought my head gasket kit from French Creek and was about 1/2. I think he has alot of older stock onhand. Marine Parts made me a good deal on pistons,sleeves, rings etc..All in Volvo boxes..My high pressure fuel lines are obsolete and FC had some that were custom made that were pretty reasonable....

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Raw water pump is a Johnson and i bought directly from them. Belts are Napa. Fuel lift pump is a Facet cube electric. Injectors serviced by Seattle Injector. Alternator/regulator are Balmar. I had heat exchanger issues so I redesigned the cooling system which took a custom heat exchanger off the engine. The Volvo HX is $1600. Another one of those pricey items. Had one made for $350 and remounted it. Way better design. So, I'm to the point where I dont have to visit Volvo unless something drastic happens at the core level. There are some things that are really obsolete such as injector copper sleeves in the heads. I think I bought the last three on the planet when I rebuilt several yrs ago. Didnt need to use them but I have them.