Repowering a C&C 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil3

Sep 21, 2011
C&C 34 Chicago
I have a 1982 C&C 34 with a Universal 5416 that is getting tired. I'm thinking of repowering and would like to hear from anyone who has already done so. I'm interested in what alternative motors will fit (Yanmar?) and how difficult is the job. Is there anything specific I should be watching out for? Ball park costs? Many thanks.

Nov 2, 2011
neil3 said:
I have a 1982 C&C 34 with a Universal 5416 that is getting tired. I'm thinking of repowering and would like to hear from anyone who has already done so. I'm interested in what alternative motors will fit (Yanmar?) and how difficult is the job. Is there anything specific I should be watching out for? Ball park costs? Many thanks.
I just purchased my 1982 C&C 34 and it has a Yanmar 3GM 23hp which fits just fine.

neil3

Sep 21, 2011
C&C 34 Chicago
After a bit of research it seemed as if a 3YM20 would go in without too much modification. Dimensionally, it's a bit smaller than the 5416, lighter by about 80#, and the output shaft direction and speed are the same. At this point the stringers are being modified (the motor mounts are a bit narrower) to accept the new motor. Once the motor is set a number of hoses need to be resized (fuel, cooling, exhaust) which shouldn't be too difficult, other than snaking 16' of 2" exhaust hose under the cockpit...

Nov 2, 2011
good luck with it! mine is the original motor, if I ever replace it with a new one, hopefully there wont be too much to modify.

Status
Not open for further replies.