Replacing Wall / chainplate

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
I need to start planning on replacing my starboard side bulkhead between the forward cabin and main salon. I had a leak from the chain plate in the past, and I have noticed some rotting in the wall. I was wondering if anyone has taken on this in the past and maybe offer some suggestions. I am hoping I can remove wall, use it as a template then install.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
sn, see reply #4 here: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=161502

www.c36ia.org, join the forum there and search on bulkhead.

Another way to search for answers on this often discussed topic is to use Google.

You can also use Google's "site:" tag to limit the search to any particular Catalina website. For example, type

site:c36.org bulkhead replacement

in the search field.

Good luck, it's out there, with pictures. :)

Feb 26, 2004
Different boat, same construction details from the same builder. That bulkhead technique was used on the C25, C30, C34 (without chainplates to the bulkhead), C36 and probably most others of that vintage. The C310 and C309 were pretty much on the same hulls with the same bulkhead techniques whether or not chainplates were fastened to the bulkheads or not.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I was going more towards the PO. I was thinking it would be a little early for a rotten bulkhead on a C310. The design is about 15 years old and I would suspect that if you didn't see water intrusion in the first couple of years (i.e. factory defect) it would last 8-10 years. In addition, you would see obvious signs of water right away if there was a leak. So you would have to ignore obvious water intrusion to get a rotten bulk head.

So I was curious about where the rot is and how much or is it just water staining.

My chain plates started leaking the year I purchased my boat (under the PO). There were definite water stains observed around the chain plates. We spent a lot of time looking at this during the survey and determined it was not rotten, just some cosmetic damage.

Just curious about how it could have gotten that bad.

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
Yes it is a 2001 C310. The rot is a small amount right where the chain plate and ceiling meets the bulkhead edge. It may be more delaminating of the plywood edge. I am thinking about just injecting some epoxy into the wood edge to stop the spread if any. After because of the staining I think I would need to sand and paint the bulkhead.

Feb 26, 2004
ITWMB, I'd loosen the chainplate from above, take off the tang and screws and see what's happening in detail, and only then decide what to do, since you're dealing with a major structural component. Good luck.

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
Good Idea.

ITWMB, I'd loosen the chainplate from above, take off the tang and screws and see what's happening in detail, and only then decide what to do, since you're dealing with a major structural component. Good luck.
Thanks for the feed back and great idea. Can that be done on the water? (loosen chain plate etc). Or do I need to wait untill I am out of water?