Replacing the Rod Rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2004
Sabre 38 CB Sloop 1987 Seabrook, TX
I am getting serious about buying a 1987 Sabre 38 CB. Some concerns about the age of the rod rigging have been raised. I am assuming original. A search online brings back mixed results. Navtec recommends inspecting after 6 years or 40-60,000 sailing miles, which ever comes first. Then the rigging is good for another 20-30,000 sailing miles. After that, Navtec recommends replacing or at the very least re-heading the rods. There are some sailors who have boats this old with original rod rigging and are perfectly content to keep it.

There are many considerations when assessing the viability of rod rigging, and since I cannot fully determine how this boat was maintained, where sailed, what loads were put on the rig, etc., it seems at the very least, I should inspect and use a dye test for cracks, then re-head, replace turnbuckles, tangs, etc. just to be safe.

Any thoughts or experience would be helpful.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rod rigging has a history of catastrophic failure, unlike wire rigging which can be inspected.

If it's original, I'd replace it. IT's like reefing: if you're thinking about it, do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.