Replacing the outboard motor on a Capri 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Sorrell

I'm considering replacing my 100 pound Suzuki 8 hp, 2 cycle, long shaft, electric start outboard with a new 4 cycle. I plan also to change props to a four blade. The problem seems to be finding motors that fit the above description that do not have protuberances in front of the motor housing that would prevent tilting the motor forward to get the prop up out of the water. I would be interested in learning from anyone faced with this change, to tell me the choices they made and why. gsorrell@earthlink.net

N

Nate Jackson

motor options

George, I've been waiting to see if you got a response from a capri 26 owner. since you haven't... I have been looking at lots of capri's hoping to buy one. I have seen a couple advertised with an evenrude and a yamaha.. i believe the yamaha was a 4 stroke. you might check out some of the for sale ads, though they are few, and see how the boats are equipped.. i know that there is currently one for sale in fla at whitney marine. Nate

J

Jim

Sorry, not much help

I have the same trouble with my Capri 25, but I'm thinking of going a different route. My 4.5 Evinrude drags in the water on port tack, I don't have either enough lift or the room to tilt to a locked up position. Like you, I haven't been able to find a OB that would fit. I think I will go to a smaller 2 stroke which can be lifted off and put back on as needed. Light enough to store away. I don't need electric start and hull speed under power, after all it is a sailboat.

Status
Not open for further replies.