replacing spreaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Gibbens

I would like to replace the wooden spreaders on my 1975 standard rig Catalina 30. Does anyone know where I could purchase aluminum spreaders? Thanks.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

John, try a different forum

You'll likely get more responses if you post this in the Ask An Owner forum. This forum is dedicated to Head/plumbing issues. LaDonna

J

Jay Hill

Start Here

http://www.sailingworld.com/ssbk/gear/sparig99.htm#Masts, aluminum It gives a list of aluminum spar manufacturers. Maybe one of them can point you in the exact right direction.

K

Keith

spreaders

Call Catalina...They have a replacement kit that comes with everything needed to replace your wooden ones with aluminum ones.

S

SEAN

SPREADERS

You can get a quote for aluminum spreaders for your 30 at spars@jsisail.com. I'm also thinking of doing this. The price was $310. A bit steep. SEAN--CARNABY STREET

B

Bob Camarena

Catyalina vs. JSI

From what I've read in other sources the Catalina spreaders are not a direct replacement for the wooden spreaders unless they've changed the design in the last couple of years. The mounting brackets are different and making the transition is a major project, often requiring removal of the mast. You should call Catalina and get the facts. The JSI spreaders, on the other hand, are supposed to be a direct fit replacement for the existing wooden spreaders, bolting into the same mounting brackets as the existing spreaders. The $310 expense of the JSI spreaders mentioned by the previous post doesn't sound so bad if they are indeed a bolt-on replacement. Have you carefully inspected your old spreaders to see if they need replacement? If they're sound, a good coat of paint may be all they need. Thousands of boats, Catalinas and others, have done fine for years with wooden spreaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.