Replacing spreaders on a Cal 2-27

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I've decided that I need to replace the spreaders on my 2-27. The PO had redone them using some kind of 5/8th plywood but I just don't think they're up to snuff. My gut says at a minimum they need to be 3/4".
So, since what I have aren't OE to begin with I'm hoping someone might have the dimensions and or specs for the original Spruce spreaders. If someone had a pic to post that would be cool.

thanks

Oct 12, 2013
Islander 30 Seattle
I can't tell you because I have a 2-29 but I'm curious about how they are mounted on the mast and about what kind of protective finish you will put on them.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Looks to the original aluminum hardware as built. As to protective finish at the moment I'm leaning towards West System epoxy with some kind of topside type UV stable paint on the upper sides and keeping the undersides clear so that I can watch for deterioration ( with binoculars as needed) but I'm open to suggestions.

May 27, 2014
Cal 2-29 San Diego
Cal 27 Spreaders vary by model and year

Looks to the original aluminum hardware as built. As to protective finish at the moment I'm leaning towards West System epoxy with some kind of topside type UV stable paint on the upper sides and keeping the undersides clear so that I can watch for deterioration ( with binoculars as needed) but I'm open to suggestions.
Actually, Cal 27's had Spruce Spreaders from the factory. Those Aluminum ones you see around are aftermarket ones installed when it was a fad to do so. Weight saved is less than a few pounds and probably not worth the effort Nor expense.
If you want the original dimensions or have other questions I would talk to Steve Seal up in the Bay Area. He was Cal's rigger from 1964-1969. http://www.sealsspars.com/ Also check out http://cruisingsailboat.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-cal-2-27.html .
I would Paint the spreaders with 3 coats Interlux epoxy primer and then 2 part polyurethane snow white perfection. Drill the holes for the bolts first so they don't rot from the bolt holes outward.:D