Replacing Spinnaker Sheet Blocks

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
My H240 has spinnaker blocks attached to the railings on the port and starboard quarters. I plan to replace these with blocks with internal cleats unless anyone has a better suggestion. I have found a Spinlock VS 50mm Jamming Spinnaker Block that looks perfect. I am however open to other solutions.

Spinlock.jpg
Spinnaker Block Existing.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What size (diameter) spin sheets? Where do you position the trimmer? For me, it would depend on how the trimmer activates the cleat or releases it. The Garhaurer is pretty basic, snap up to release, down to engage, but can it oriented for the trimmer's location?. If the Spinlock is a ratchet type, with pull to release action (making it more expensive) then I'd lean towards it.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Thats a clever way to try and work the spin sheets. I always used just a regular block and sheet tied off to a cleat. My only concern with the jam type of blocks is if they would be easy to lock and release for the location they will be mounted. For example, with the cam cleat type release you need to have the line within a certain angle to lock or release. That may or may not be a good location to be in in the cockpit, if that makes sense.

Ive replace over a dozen blocks on my boat with Garhauer. Price cant be beat and no issues with quality.

Jun 12, 2021
The Garhauer blocks arrived yesterday. I will install them this week end. They look perfect for spinnaker sheets. I bought directly form Garhauer and paid $138.60 for the pair. Report to follow.

Jun 12, 2021
I installed the Garhauer blocks further aft than the factory spinnaker blocks. Jessie and I took the boat out and set the spinnaker for the first time. I am going to move the tack block and modify the path for the sock halyard but other than that it was a non event. Winds were four knots and we sailed about a mile across the lake with just the spinnaker. The Garhauer blocks worked great. The angle of the cam was perfect. I have a Precision turtle bag on order which will simplify setting and retrieving the sail.
block with cleat.jpg

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Thanks for the follow-up, was wondering how that worked out. On my upgrade list for my 260.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I see you have a cleat aft of where you have your block, I used the cleat with a soft shackle on the block. Totally different boat, but looks like it would work for you.
Cheers

Jun 12, 2021
Two weeks ago we set the spinnaker and it pulled us across the lake with no fuss. I had to move a few blocks and repurpose one cleat but I am quite happy with the results. I received my spinnaker bag from Precision Sales. Jessie is very pleased as it snaps to the life lines and allows her an extra hand for herself. We will try it out this Saturday as the winds will be light and the temperature will be under 90. I ordered the extra small size and the spinnaker fits perfect, even with the sock.
Spinnaker Bag 2.jpgSpinnaker Bag 1.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The stresses placed on the stern rail are beyond those intended. Perhaps a soft shackle on the stern docking cleat will serve the purpose..

Jun 12, 2021
The stresses placed on the stern rail are beyond those intended. Perhaps a soft shackle on the stern docking cleat will serve the purpose..
I’m not to concerned as the OEM spinnaker blocks are also attached to the stern rail.

Jun 12, 2021
We sailed with the spinnaker using the Precision Turtle bag for the first time. Jessie liked how it clipped to the safety line. I added a cleat for the sock halyard on the side of the mast. We took my grand daughter out and and let the spinnaker pull us down the lake for an hour. I have ordered four Ronstan line clips to hold the spinnaker sheets when they are not being used. I plan to hang them from the safety line stanchions to keep them out of water but off of the deck. We still haven't tried to tack with the spinnaker up. One thing at a time.
Capture1-18-2019-11.24.53 AM12-10-2020-11.59.02 PM3-10-2021-9.27.58 AM8-9-2021-8.41.49 AM8-9-2...jpgIMG-1015.jpg