Replacing Roller Furling Halyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

We have to replace out roller furling jib (130) halyard on our 1988 tall mast model. The roller furling is the older Hood system with a roller line. The front part of the jib is inserted into a slotted fitting that also makes up the forestay.The big question is how to properly replace the halyard (its also internal) without going aloft? I understand the sail should be unfurled and maybe I might have to splice the new line at the bitter end to accomodate the extra length needed for the mast height and the length after the sail is laid down aft to reach the head shackle. Big Question.....Will the slotted pieces at the front of the sail bend when lowering? Whats the best procedure for this? Thanks Bob

M

Mick

Replacing Halyard

Do you only have 1 jib halyard? Is the shackle spliced in, or tied? Unfurl the jib. Drop the sail to the deck by releasing the jib halyard. If you are going to trash the old halyard, remove the shackle (cut, or untie) and attach the new halyard to the old by butting the ends together, secure them with a needle and thread, then tape the splice. Pull the old halyard out from the mast (where you usually pull from to raise the sail), when the splice comes out, take it apart. Splice in, or tie on a new shackle, attach it to the head cringle, guide the luff into the groove (either one if you have 2), and raise the sail. Refurl the sail.

B

Bob

Thanks Mick....but

I understand the new line connections and unfurling the jib, but my greatest concern is the integrity of the hardware that retains the jib. I always understood the slides near the forestay that retain the sail were fairly fragile and could bend. Lowering the jib is going to put strain on the center portion of the sail as its lowered. Do I have worries here or are they much tougher then I would expect and not bend or break in the lowering? Thanks Bob

P

Pat Ta

It's easier than you think

...if I understand your question. The slotted pieces are part of the Hood roller furler. I think they are called extrusions. The luff of the sail fits into these pieces. They are about 6 foot pieces slotted together and fastened by 4 rivets at each connection. They won't collapse because the 1 X 19 forstay runs inside of the tube. Without the forestay in place there would be no support and it would collapse. There are simple bearings inside the extrusions that keep them centered on the forestay. I have taken this whole system apart in the past and replaced an extrusion and the lower drum. It is not a great furler but adequate in my opinion. Don't worry, it is as easy as changing your head sail.

B

Bob

Thanks Pat.....

Pat. That was the vote of confidence I was seeking. Changing out halyards is easy but it was the concern over that furling rig. That could be expensive to repair or replace. Greatly appreciate the feedback Bob '88 Breezin II

M

Mick

Furler

I'm sorry Bob. I forgot that part of your question, and Pat Ta is correct. You can take the sail off for the winter if you want to. The furler is strong enough, and quite flexible as well. If it wasn't sailing would be too much for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.