Replacing Raymarine Autopilot Control Head

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
I have a 2007 Hunter 41AC on which I have replaced the original MFD, added a SeaTalkNG backbone, and replaced the AIS receiver with an AIS transceiver. I currently have an Axiom+ MFD, an S3 Course Computer and an ST7002 AutoPilot Control Head (both original) along with the original ST60+ instruments. After spending several days earlier this week crewing on a friend's Hunter 37 from Portland, Oregon to Neah Bay, Washington on which he had the ability to have the MFD execute a stored route, I am convinced that that is a capability that I want on my boat.

As I understand it, the Axiom+ is unable to control the autopilot on my boat because the control head has SeaTalk1 interface. In order to get the capability I want, I believe that I will need to replace the ST7002 control head with something like the ST70 or ST70s which have a SeaTalkNG interface.

I'd be interested in hearing from others that have implemented a change like this. In particular, I'd like to know if after I install the new control head I will need run the commissioning procedure, i.e. does the autopilot commissioning procedure calibrate the course computer or the control head or both?

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
Have you seen this 2018 discussion on Raymarine forum.
Thanks. I had not seen that and it is helpful. I was mistaken about the benefit of changing the control head - it turns out that that will not provide any additional advantage. In that discussion, there are links to other posts that describe how to make the earlier course computers follow a route provided by the Axiom. I will delve deeper into that.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As they say in sailing... It is a journey.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If you find the Serial number on your AutoPilot, you can Register it with RayMarine.

When done, even if you bought your boat from others, you get this

24/7 Tech Service World Wide

Jim...

I believe that I will need to replace the ST7002
That is what I have.