Replacing Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2004
- - Sacramento, California
I have a 1976 Lancer 25 with 4 fixed plexiglass ports. From the deck side, they appear to be simply glued against the underside of the cabin. The boat's prior owner apparently tried to fix a couple of leaks by running a bead of silicone around the outside of a couple of the ports and you can guess how nice that looks. Unfortunately, the headliner in the cabin is rounded right up to the edge of the port. Without removing the headliner, I cannot tell how the plexiglass is affixed. Anybody know? I am contemplating removing the entire headliner (it has a few tears in it) anyway, but then I have to find someone who would be willing to upholster my entire cabin...and I can only guess what that might cost. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance. John

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
We have a L28 and are in the same boat so to speak..Our port-lights are held in place by some sort of flat-head plastic fasteners that resemble giant pop-rivets. I suspect they will have to be drilled out, destroying them..Then there is the headliner nightmare..So I just caulk around the outside edge to stop the leaks and live with it for now..If your ports are fogged from cleaning and sun, an automotive product, McGuires Plast-X, something like that, will restore the surface and greatly improve the looks and transparency of the ports..

Jun 3, 2009
2 Lancer 28 Florida
I thought it was just my boat. The ports were installed OVER the headliner (carpet). I just ripped out it all out and put new ports installed to the fiberglass (not over carpet). I thought it was a prior owner that had lost his mind, I guess not.
I'm in Fla and don't need carpet I fiberglassed and/or painted all the inside smooth, since I don't have cold or even waves.
By the way.. Getting the old ports was tough and drilling through screws was necessary. It was NOT a quick weekend job.

Status
Not open for further replies.