Replacing maralon valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Walt

Have a couple of marelon ball-valves to replace on my 94 Catalina 36. Looking for advice on removing and installing new ones. It appears that if I hold the nut securely which is locking the thru-hull part component, then the ball valve assembly should just spin off. I should then be able to spin a new one right on. Have never done this before. Fortunately,the boat is out of the water. Also, is it ok to replace the marelon unit with a bronze ball valve onto the marelon/plastic thru-hull. Thanks, Walt

R

R. Palaia

I don't think you should mix

I never replaced a thru hull before. But, I don't think it is a good idea to thread a bronze ball valve onto a marelon thru hull. You might be putting too much stress on the marelon and it would end up cracking. Not good, it could sink the boat.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Replace the whole shebang

Marelon has a tendency to break down & fail at the most inconvenient moments. Since the boat's on the hard, replace the thru hull & be comfortable in the knowledge it was done "right". LaDonna

T

Tom Soko

Marelon Thru-Hulls

Walt, I would have an "associate" hold the thru-hull from the outside while you unscrew the ball-valve on the inside. Simply holding the locking nut on the inside might not be enough. Cut a piece of scrap wood to just fit snugly inside the thru-hull. This can be held with a big pair of pliers or a pipe wrench. The ball valve should come off easily, and a new one can be screwed on. Don't forget to use teflon tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.