Replacing Mainsail

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

removehtml]Greetings, I'm shopping for a new mainsail. If you have any comments on sails or sailmakers, I'd appreciate hearing about them. Also, I'm considering the Strong sail track/slide system--any comments? Thanks.Error: Error: expected [/URL], but found [/removehtml] instead[/removehtml]

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Hey Bob

We'd love to make a new mainsail for your boat! Our loft (Doyle) has 30+ years of experience. They use premium dacron and really pay attention to detail. Your sail will be designed, cut and sewn in this country. Are you in Seattle? Did you see the mini blizzard we just had? Dave Groshong Customer Service SailboatOwners.com T206-932-7245 ext.116, Mon-Fri, 9-5 Pacific.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I personally believe

... that having a new mainsail made for one's boat is an exciting thing. I also think it requires having a qualified sailmaker come to your boat with you to discuss your needs, take needed measurements, and custom tailor the new sail to your boat. Complications, like mast bend, height of bimini's or dodgers, reefing systems on your boom, etc., can all be discussed with a sailmaker who will know how to translate that data into a perfectly fitting sail. I had this done by North Sails when I bought my main a few years ago. It was more expensive than buying a standard, out of the box sail, from any number of onshore or offshore makers. But it has been worth it.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Our measuring worksheets

ensure a custom, designed for your boat, cut for your boat, sail. You can speak directly with the designer if you have any special concerns. Dave Groshong Customer Service SailboatOwners.com

May 5, 2006
Knutson K-35 Yawl Bellingham
Yep, those precut cookie cutter quote sites

don't work for my boat because the only Knutson K-35 they list is the sloop. My boat is a yawl and the sailplan is totally different, even from other K-35 yawls because of the bowsprit and boomkin, which wasn't stock on these boats.

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
talk to your local sailmakers

Hi Bob, If this is your first set of new sails you will be totally jazzed with the results. Warrens input is spot on- if you can get the sailmaker on your boat and see how YOU sail he can build you a sail that makes you look great. Sail making is a bit of an art and as our boats are not mainstream racers there is a small database for comparison. When I was one design racing the fast guys were using a very flat sail- they went blazingly fast and pointed to the moon. Unfortunatly I couldn't drive them worth a damn! The flat cut of sail had what I think of as a narrow powerband, which required lots of attention to make them stay in the grove and drive. I went to a deeper/fuller cut that produced a wider powerband and was much easier for me to drive and keep it in the groove.As a result I was sailing much faster after that.diffrent strokes for different folks. Of course your local sailing conditions are also a factor-wind velocity excetera. Look around at other boats with similar sail plans and see what they are using! Have fun P.S if you like the quiet of your sails while tacking now be prepared for all the noise a new crisp sail makes - It's the sound of speed!

Status
Not open for further replies.