Replacing Mainsail Halyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Captain Jim

I have been avoiding this, but I it is now time. I don't have the option of swapping the ends of the halyard since the worn spot is at the winch when the sail is all the way up. Can anyone give me any ideas on what is the easiest way to change out the halyard. It runs inside the mast so it really makes me nervous to think of the line getting away from me and having to get the line back up inside the mast. I am looking, for the simplest, safest solution that will lose me the least sailing time. Thanks

J

John Mavrovich

Attach the New One to the Old

Use duck tape and butt the new to the tail of the old. Assuming your halyard runs freely through the sheave at the masthead, it'll take a few minutes.

R

Roger Noble

sew it on

It's really easy to "sew" the new line to the old and then pull it through. Just take some whipping twine & use a sailmakers palm to sew the 2 ends together. That way there's no chance of them coming loose. I did all of mine recently in less than a half hour.

J

John Wendt

needle and thread

Sew the two lines together, hand stitch togeter for a sure connection. Has never let me down....

Status
Not open for further replies.