Replacing halyards

May 26, 2015
Columbia 35.7 Blue HeronBay
I have recently purchased a 46 year old Columbia 35.7 and have decided to replace both the main and jib halyards. The diameter of the existing wire is 1/6" as measured with a digital micrometer. The only replacements I could find in catalogs are either a 1/8" or a 5/32" wire.

I am tending to shy away from the 1/8" for fear of it jumping off the pulley and jambing. I would like to go with the slightly larger 5/32" but don't know if this is the right decision.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
1/8th is too small, I'd go with the 5/32. I've never seen wire labeled as 1/6, but that would be really close to 5/32. My 1969 Columbia 36 has 5/32 jib halyard and 3/16 main.
I wanted to replace mine with all rope, but I found that not only were the masthead sheaves shaped for wire, but the slots the rope would have to feed through would only accept 5/16 th line. 3/8ths would chafe on the sides. I could have used one of the new high tech ropes but I didn't want to spend that much, and I don't like the feel of that small a line. So I stayed with wire.

May 26, 2015
As all my halyards measured the same wire diameter, that would indicate to me that they were replaced at least once before and to save $$, we're done so with the smallest diameter available for that vessel. As we have the same year vessel and only differing by 1 foot, I am going with size of lines you have on your vessel. Does that make sense?

May 26, 2015
After pulling all the paperwork on my vessel, I have a correction. My vessel is a 1969 36' Mark II vessel. Is this the same as your vessel?