Replacing Fridge

Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
The original (2000 model year) Norcold/Dometic DE-441 in my Sabre Express 36 needed replacing. The frame was rusty, interior parts broken and it made lots of noise. The challenge was getting a new fridge through the 19.25 inch wide companionway. To get the old one out, I had to remove the door, compressor and electronic control box.
After lots of research of the various brands, the only unit of approximately the same cubic capacity that would fit through the doorway was a Isotherm CR130 Classic. With the door removed, it was supposed to be 19" deep. When it arrived, the compressor stuck out 1/2" making it just slightly too wide to get through the door. I tried "shoehorning" and lots of angles of attack, but it just wouldn't go. I finally unbolted the compressor (without disconnecting the copper tubing) and managed to squeeze it gently through the opening. Then I rebolted the compressor to the case and finished the installation. It is a great unit, much more efficient than the 14 year old Dometic.
I guess Sabre installed the Dometic before the deck was installed on the boat. Anyway, I hope this info helps other Sabre owners.

Maggie

Apr 27, 2014
sabre 36 Portsmouth
replacing fridge in Sabre Express

Looked online at the refrigeration unit that you installed. I am interested to know if it has same storage capacity as the old unit. Also looking at isotherm EL130. Did you consider that one .... a bit smaller. We were so spoiled with our sailboat fridge space but will just eat out more.

The original (2000 model year) Norcold/Dometic DE-441 in my Sabre Express 36 needed replacing. The frame was rusty, interior parts broken and it made lots of noise. The challenge was getting a new fridge through the 19.25 inch wide companionway. To get the old one out, I had to remove the door, compressor and electronic control box.
After lots of research of the various brands, the only unit of approximately the same cubic capacity that would fit through the doorway was a Isotherm CR130 Classic. With the door removed, it was supposed to be 19" deep. When it arrived, the compressor stuck out 1/2" making it just slightly too wide to get through the door. I tried "shoehorning" and lots of angles of attack, but it just wouldn't go. I finally unbolted the compressor (without disconnecting the copper tubing) and managed to squeeze it gently through the opening. Then I rebolted the compressor to the case and finished the installation. It is a great unit, much more efficient than the 14 year old Dometic.
I guess Sabre installed the Dometic before the deck was installed on the boat. Anyway, I hope this info helps other Sabre owners.

Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
Fridge swap

Maggie,
I am not familiar with the EL 130. I hope it will be easier to get through the companionway.

The CR130 looks to be almost exactly the same interior size as the old Dometic. However, the compressor is so much smaller that I think we ended up with a little more capacity. Now that I have run it for a couple of months, I can tell you it uses a LOT less electricity. And it is so quiet you have to listen very carefully to make sure it is on. It is a huge improvement over the Dometic DE441.

By the way, we, too, had been wishing for the system that was in our Beneteau 361 (Freezer compartment with a "spillover" valve into a fridge box). I don't know why powerboat manufacturers don't adopt that system. For weekend use, the new fridge is more than adequate. I also added a Yeti 45 under my feet at the helm station. Beer is easy to get to. :) also, I can stand on it when I need to peer over the bow.