Replacing bulkhead with compression post

Sep 6, 2024
Hunter 25.5 Blind Pass , St Pete Beach
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 25.5 1984 Hunter. She is super tiny and a big change from my 42ft hatteras that sank. I was looking at newer model pics and love how the cabin is open all the way exposing the vberth. I would love to do the same with mine to open it up. 1st-is this possible? I know i have to accomodate structural stability but all the wood at the base of the wall is damaged anyway. Would love some guidance on the best plan of action for this. The original head and sink were removed by previous owner along with the kitchen galley :(. But I think this will be helpful attacking this project. My end game is to redo entire interior to the same layout as the newer models with the enclosed bathroom just inside the entry on port side and open up the entire living area. Then recontruct a galley. THE FIRST 2 PICS ARE OF MY BOAT LAST ONE IS HOW I WOULD LIKE TO MODIFY IT

Thanks so much in advance for your insight!!!
LAUREL

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t think you can remove the bulkhead completely.

Bu as an alternative, you could cut a big hole in the bulkhead to open up space, get more airflow and light…
My O’Day 322 has a bulkhead and door in a similar spot, but the bulkhead has a panel that can be lowered to open up the space.

This is the best photo I can find of my interior.

IMG_1798-1_Original.jpeg

Greg

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
If you remove the bulkheads there will be no support for the chainplates. The deck can't support the rig loads without them. In your case, the bulkheads also prevent the sides of the hull from migrating inboard and support the deck.

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the bulkheads also prevent the sides of the hull from migrating inboard
Think collapsing, folding inward from water pressure and the shrouds pulling. A bulkhead on a small boat maintains the hull’s width. In your boat’s case, the mast presses downward onto the deck. The deck an bulkhead are pressed outward and downward. The system stays in balance until one of the elements fails.