replacing a centerboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bill

How does one remove and replace the centerboard on a javelin? Also are the replacements available? Thanks.

B

Bob McGee

Javelin centerboard

I bought a Javelin a couple of years ago ... don't know how old it is (25-30 years???) ... and I could tell that the leading edge of the centerboard had considerable rust just by looking as she sat on the trailer. So I decided to have a full look. This was tough, it took two guys and a hoist. First, I freed the centerboard haul. Then using some heavy strapping around the hull, I slowly lifted the boat off the trailer allowing the centerboard to drop. The rust was incredible, so I decided to replace it. I then lowered the boat back onto the trailer which forced the centerboard back up into the well. Then I removed the kingpin on which the centerboard swings (accessible through the two caps on either side of the centerboard housing). This took awhile because the centerboard itself wasn't too cooperative. Make sure you have undone the centerboard haul. Then raise the boat again, slowly, and the board just falls out. I went to a sheet metal shop and bought a sheet of 1/4" galvanized steel, and back at the shop I laid the old centerboard on top of the sheet and drew a pattern. Cut it out with a cutting torch and grind all the edges smooth. With some scrap from the cutting, weld shims on both sides where the kingpin hole is to be drilled and at the aft end of the top of the board where she first enters the well (you'll be able to see where from the old centerboard). Drill a hole where the Kingpin goes and another smaller hole where the haul attaches. Now comes the fun part ... putting it back in. I dropped the boat onto some low sawhorses, rolled it over so the hull was looking up. Attach the haul to the board and feed it through the pulley hole in the well. Then, with lots of help (this sucker weighs 50-60 lbs.), feed the kingpin end of the board into the well and from underneath, slide the kingpin (fitted with two new bushings) through. This will take some time because you're working by feel. Once done, pull the haul through and allow the board to seat itself slowly into the well (we held the board up using visegrips ... didn't want it to fall hard into the well and do who know's how much damage). Re-rig the centerboard haul, cleat it in the "full up" position, roll the boat back over, hoist it up and back on the trailer. This Bud's for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.