replacement tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Hart

I have what I believe is a 1977 model Venture that is, shall we say, a "fixer upper." It's been great fun restoring this boat, but I have a few small problems. I need to replace the tiller. The one that came with the boat (maybe orginal... maybe not) is cracked in two, split down the middle, and pretty much useless. Do you have any idea where I might be able to find a replacement or should I go ahead and spend a bunch of money letting a local wood guy "custom" make one for me. While I'm at it, Let me ask about a rudder. The top half that connects to the tiller is original. The bottom half is solid aluminum. Any ideas on where to find an "original" replacement part? Thanks in advance for any help.

G

George Haus

Cheap and Better Tiller

I constructed a new tiller using a wheelbarrow handle from my local hardware store (about $14). Seems like the best grades (nice straight grain - no knots) are picked up by the wheelbarrow people. I couldn't find a better piece of 5' wood at any of my local lumber stores. To make it just use you router and 1/4 round bit to get the square edges off. Then sand. The wood is impregnated with some kind of antirot stuff so it should last forever. I finished it with boiled linseed oil - best stuff you'll ever find for wood that you will be handling - looks good too.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
The proper thing.

The Defender Marine catalogue lists several kinds-- just match up with one that looks most like yours and order it. It will need drilling for the rudderhead fixture (like that's a big deal). As evident by the comments by people using pipes, etc., there is no rocket science to this. Whatever works works. But there is nothing prettier than a proper laminated tiller. Treat your boat to the elegance it deserves. They are only like 50 bucks, depending on size and shape. JC 2

D

dockdog

Ax handle makes a beautiful tiller, nice curves...

pretty wood, about the right length, quality wood, nice finish, get one just about anywhere. For making your own rudder check out Rambling Rod's site, below. http://www3.sympatico.ca/rodney.brandon/ Have fun, mess about, go sailing. dockdog

Status
Not open for further replies.