Replacement Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
Try a modification . . .

Your keel is probably fine what you need to do is to modify it a bit to make it longer. This is not the same engineering challenge as getting a new keel. Many boaters that are seriously into racing modify their keels and well it is not cheep it is not going to break the bank. Also a number of people have replaced their keels on the First 235. This is of course a much smaller boat but the result of a new keel on the F235 have been very impressive. I have included a link from Kelly Holsten’s cool F235 site that includes information on a replacement keel design for the F235. Perhaps this information can assist you in finding someone that does something similar for your 411. Good Luck. --Dan

Dec 14, 2003
Beneteau 411 Plattsburgh NY
In my search for a new boat (1999 - 2002 Beneteau 411) I come across many that are an appropriate fit with the sole exception being that they have a shoal draft keel (4'9") and I prefer the deeper draft (5'7"). The obvious question when looking at used boats is "how much will it cost to modify any given aspect that I don't like or want", hence, my question is, has anyone gone through the exercise of changing the keel on their boat? I could speak with the yard and I am sure that they would gladly quote me a price for the work, but I am interested in any owners experiences before I undertake this modification.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Too many Varibles

Merrill, that is a hard question to answer since there are too many varibles. Labor rate changes depending on location. Down here in southern NY the average rate is anywhere from $70-90 an hour. Shipping for the new keel is also going to vary. Anytime we buy a used boat only we can answer the question how much is it going to cost to make the boat what I want. Have you looked online for a standard draft keeled boat? good luck Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.