Replacement Head Sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Richard

I took delivery today on an new UK "Passagemaker I" 125% headsail. It replaced the cheap one (110%) that came with the boat. To say that the difference is like night and day is a gross understatement! I cannot believe how much better the boat performed. Visualize 10 knots of wind with a SOG of 5.3 knots. And, at eight knots, the boat was going 4.5 SOG. This is with a dirty bottom and heavy (12 tons) boat. I easily was able to get a perfectly balanced sail plan and watched the boat go for ever without touching the wheel. Autopilot want not needed because the boat would literally sail itself. On a Hunter, with the spreaders and shrouds the way they are, the absolute maximum size was 125.5%. This afforded the leach to barely miss the inner shroud and first spreader. The jibs that come stock from Hunter do not have a foam luff which is problematic when reefing. The sail would lose its shape. With the Passagemaker sail, the foam luff makes reefing possible. I'll have a picture up on my website soon. I plan to do a lot of sailing this weekend to Catalina Island and will do a thorough test drive. John Richard s/v Jack's Place

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hi, John

I purchased a new 133% genny and main with tapered battens. They replaced my 10-year old main and 110. Agree, big difference. I also went with a foam luff. Haven't rung her out too much yet, but taking a couple of weeks in July to race to San Diego and cruise back. I expect good performance. Also went with a Martec geared folding prop. Biggest difference I have noticed is light air. Of course, that's about all I've had.......... Rick D.

Status
Not open for further replies.