Replacement Generator for Beneteau 411

Mar 9, 2013
Beneteau 411 Staten Island
I need to replace the generator on my 2001 Beneteau411. It had a Next Ben 8.5kw that powered everything with no problem. They no longer make that model or can repair it. They now make a 9.0kw that is a bit wider than the opening of the port side lazarette. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you.

Jun 1, 2004
Beneteau 393 Newport
8.5 kW seems a little large for your boat. I suggest you make a list of all the electrical devices on your boat and determine which ones would be operating together. Add 25% to that number and you have the proper size generator.
I have a 5 kW generator that will run the 100 A battery charger, 110 v watermaker and supply pump, and electric hot water simultaneously with no appreciable tonal difference. Usually when these are running my wife chooses that time to vacuum the carpets.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
How many AC unit’s do you have and if you have hot water heater also and I have FP 4200 1 AC and don’t
AC and hot water heater at same time.
But if you need to run both AC at same time than need bigger unit.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I think you can use a smaller generator than a 9kw. As you already have a Next Gen, you could go with a 5.5kw model. You will need to be mindful of loads you place on the generator at the same time. This may mean that you need to manage/reduce the level of house battery charging, and or other loads when on generator power.
The only issue will be when both a/c units try to start at the same time. The starting in rush of power when the compressors start would be the issue, which will drop once the running. Depending on the type of a/c compressors you have, this can be mitigated with the use of a "hard start kit" or a "soft-start kit". Another possible option would be a sequencer, that would only allow one compressor at a time to start.