replacement for Kenyon Marine alcohol stove in h260?

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
I got to looking at Kenyon Marine alcohol stove in h260, and it's rusted to heck and unsalvageable Is there a modern stove that fits in this square hole in kitchen top, that many Hunter people use, propane or alcohol????

Ive never used cans of alcohol before. There's a Kenyon ElectricAlcohol dual burner, can't tell if that takes cans, seems weird idea. - D

Jul 18, 2015
South P10 Pugetopolis
I changed out an old two burner with a Wallas diesel stove/ heater. Very happy with the results.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The "standard answer" for many years was Origo, but they went out of business. I seem to recall another company made a similar if not identical (except for lower quality) stove but can't remember the name. I'll bet if you Google "Origo stove" you'll run across the names. They consist of a housing with canisters one fills with the alcohol. We replaced our Kenyon with an Origo on our Catalina 25 back in 1987.

Unless you can find or or the clone, I recommend going with a butane camp stove. It's only a one-holer, but unless you're a gourmand and need more than one burner, they're great stoves. I bought one before we sailed up here in 2016 knowing CNG was hard (and now impossible) to get. I still have it and it works great for me.

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Hmm. Online am finding many RV propane stoves that may work. 12.5x12.5 inches is current hole in countertop. 16 x 22 inches is maximum hole one could cut before hitting the counter structural walls below. The Flame King seems OK match... Some propone stoves if reading small print are barely 11 inches so bet if bought from Amazon they'll be hilariously small. Wonder if there's a very thin electric 2 burner. I am 5 miles from a West Marine so could look at products directly.

Kenyon makes a electric 1 burner that fits right in the hole seems. With a weird option to pour alcohol in a cup in middle, to power it by alcohol. See pic.

Well. Till I decide for now I took off the glass top of Kenyon old stove so it's flush, and popped my Coleman 2 burner on it. See pics, it looks better than it seems. Seems to work ok but don't look fancy. To slightly improve looks could replace Kenyon junk stove with shiny 13x13" sheet of metal. Besides metal wonder what thin plastic board can be used instead, formica, fiberglass something?? I am new to tinkering. Thanks. - D

Attachments

Last edited:

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Ive never used cans of alcohol before. There's a Kenyon ElectricAlcohol dual burner, can't tell if that takes cans, seems weird idea. - D
The Kenyon does not take cans. It has a large tank that you fill. What looks like a can in the center is the self primer.

I have a single burner Kenyon and I think it's grand. If you can install propane, that is best but if you are sticking to alcohol I like the Kenyon better than the Origo.

The stove in your picture under the camp stove looks like a pressurized alcohol stove, which is indeed a dinosaur. The Kenyon alcohol/electric is unpressurized.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
Hunter 376 Midland
Our H260 was equipped with a Kenyon KISS butane single burner cooktop. The stove is discontinued, and there were reports of leaks at the butane canister seal. We never experienced the issue, but as a precaution, we sent the unit back to Kenyon for rebuild. The advice given was to add a drop of oil to the tip of the butane canister when inserting it, and to not leave the canister in after use.

There are other butane cooktops worth considering that might fit the space. As well, if only using it at the dock, an electric induction cooktop might be an idea. With the induction cooktop, there’s no hot surface when done with it….just the cookware gets hot.

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
We did have a nasty incident with the old Kenyon KISS butane stove.

Our first overnight ever in the H260. The canister expired while making morning coffee and I replaced. (Unknown to me - the prior owner had never used the stove - O ring was dry.) Evidently it broke putting in the "new" canister so.....a nice uncontrolled fire at 7:30am. Very scary - grabbed pliers, wrapped my hand in a dish towel and was able to twist out the flaming canister and toss it overboard.

Solution was our little Partner Steel river stove (with a propane hose long enough to put the canister in the cockpit).

1699296162457.png

Fabbed an aluminum frame with rubber bumper feet (a bit hard to see), to keep the residual heat off the counter. A cutting board covers the existing hole and drop insert (which is now used for utensil storage). Stove does not move when healed and is pulled out for river trips.

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Thanks for all advice. I got Flame King propane stovetop, expanded counter hole a bit by tracing pencil mark (the old hole for Kenyon stove was almost too tall), and all hooked it up and seems to work. Propane tank barely fits thru TOP HOLE and can wiggle it to floor under counter, but it'll never fit thru DOOR, so don't screw down your stove to allow easier tank switchouts. The Flame King black top is left loose since if use hinges it'd hit side of hull when pivoted back. Some gaps to below are visible between stove and countertop, but not too noticeable. This Flame King ain't perfect fit but was smallest 2 burner that was cheap at $70 eBay. Total cost $100. See pics. PS. Another tip is if lock h260 hatch but leave the lowest panel loose just lodged in there, if under 200 pounds can barely wiggle thru, so it's a semi secure way that saves futzing with hatch panels to leave or enter. It's snug enough no one else will try to wiggle thru. Ha

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
You are taking on some risk with the propane tank inside the cabin with no outlet where the heavier-than-air gas can flow out if there's a leak.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Photo 3011 gives me the willies. This is an extremely dangerous installation. You would do well to read up on the proper way to install a propane appliance on a boat. This is not it. You could blow up not only yourself but the boats around you.

Last edited: