Replace Volvo Penta Shaft log seal with a PSS from PYI shaft seal on my 1990 41S5? also retention collar?

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
I going to yard soon . While there I might want to replace the Volvo Penta shaft seal with a PSS /PYI shaft seal to forget the endless leaking/// Good idea "? anyone done it? There is also what looks like to be a ss shaft retention collar just behind the coupling. It looks like its a zinc donut but its actually stainless steel. Must be removed to move shaft aft while installing a new shaft seal. Is this from factory? Thanks all.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Why is the Volvo leaking ? How old is it?
i just installed one this winter on my O’Day 322, so far no major issues. I had some leaking at the stern tube, where the rubber stuffing box is clamped on. I had to shim the clamp to get it to stop leaking…next winter, I will probably add a layer of fiberglass to the stern tube.
ED24CDF8-4CD9-4495-AA41-BAE3C8208198.jpeg

As far as the zinc donut, probably added by a PO to keep the shaft from slipping out of the boat if the shaft came out of the coupling.

Greg

Jul 13, 2009
Thank you Greg! It is a stainless steel collar.Just looks like a zinc shaft donut

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I love my volvo shaft seal…… every spring I lightly grease and burp and it does not drip a bit. Mine was 17 years old still working flawlessly but to be safe just replaced with a new one. I love the simplicity of this unit and would never switch away from it. Very reasonably priced too……

Good luck
Greg

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
5 years ago I replaced mine not a drop of water , PSS too much money and I can tell you working in the printing industry for 40 years as a millwright , hundreds of these are used for cooling and when they fail not all the time ,say 50% its like a hose turns on and there is no hint that its coming and you still have to replace the bellows every 5 years as per oem which is more than the volvo. The volvo will never fail like this and if it starts to drip a hose clamp around it with some tension will stop it until you change it out . My buddy went 2 years with a hose clamp putting tension on it. Check your engine alignment if it's way out the volvo will drip and the pss will fail

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
And remember with the volvo, just a little grease each year. Too much is not good…… will clog the cutlass on the beneteau shaft log

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Just received mine from General Propeller and they are on sale. Can't really go wrong for $137 compared to the other PSS costs. Mine has been on since 1999 and no leaks but I'm going to replace at the end of this season for another 23 years of service :)

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I had a Volvo seal on my B4 when I bought it. After two seasons, the seal started leaking from splash day. Bought a new seal for install during the next season. Was confirming model numbers and dimensions when I found that one of the rear enginge mount nuts (underside) had rotated down by itself approx. 1/2". Moved the nut back into position and magic- all the leaking stopped. Changed the seal on the next haul anyway. BTW, that when I found the pitting corrosion under the cutlass bearing. but that's a different story.

ribbit

Dec 30, 2013
Beneteau 445 Barbados
I going to yard soon . While there I might want to replace the Volvo Penta shaft seal with a PSS /PYI shaft seal to forget the endless leaking/// Good idea "? anyone done it? There is also what looks like to be a ss shaft retention collar just behind the coupling. It looks like its a zinc donut but its actually stainless steel. Must be removed to move shaft aft while installing a new shaft seal. Is this from factory? Thanks all.
1992 Moorings 445 acquired in 2000. Like you, had continuous leaking with Volvo seal. Even after two replacements. Installed PSS seal in 2005 and haven't had a leak or other problem since. Now in the yard and renewing the seal for the first time, because I didn't realise that it should have been changed after 5 years. Annual inspection never showed any problems ( not that I am recommending extending the change out period). That was my error and I may be lucky. The SS "donut" is the rotating part of the seal which interfaces with a stationary carbon face. It is moved along the shaft and secured to compress the rubber bellows part of the system.

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks everybody! I added a ss hose clamp near the fwd end after greasing and leak stopped! However Im going to stick with the volvo and replace with new in the yard.